Chameleon hasn't eaten

guessmegg

Hello I've recently just got a Veiled Chameleon a few months ago.
I'm not sure how old she really is but my brother assumed 5 months since she is not to small or big either.
Her normal daylight baskin spot is usually at 85..
I had bought the "chameleon kit" which came with the screen cage which i believe the size is :
Item Dimensions
Item Height 30 IN
Item Length 16 IN
Item Width 16 IN
I have a humidifier but I am not sure how humid it gets since its an all screen cage.. but It's all been okay up till now.
But i do have a digital therm for the Light/UVB..

My Chameleon use to be a bright green everyday and would eat crickets,mealworms,waxworks,hornworms,carrots,Sometimes Kale or Collard greens,She has tried watermelon and strawberries .
But lately she has not been wanting to eat anything or rarely even take a bite of a veggie.
She always seems to want to climb out of her cage ,at first I thought maybe she just liked to come out,so I would let her out some days but then she would constantly do it and she climbs up and down her cage.
She has these yellow like spots, she is still green but lately she has been looking more of a darker green and just stares all the time..I guess thats okay.
But I try to hand feed her, Like I usually do but then she does not want to eat and crawls away then she stays like dark greenish with yellow-ish "spots" all over her ,she's been like this for over a week, thought maybe she would go back to normal.
I even tried to put a Ficus tree in her cage, I did change the soil and cleaned the tree in the shower before putting it in her cage .I'm not sure what to do , but to take her to the Vet
If anyone has any advice
Please comment back
Thank you

she might have to lay her eggs. She sounds like the right age for her to have eggs but we cant really tell without a photo. Could you upload a photo of the enclosure and your baby girl?

She's sleeping right now but I took a quick picture.Thank you for responding!!!:)
I have two fishbowls in there ,Which had contain crickets then some Super worms, I don't like them crawling everywhere ,but she usually knows where to go to eat and usually eats out of them before she stopped eating.
she might have to lay her eggs. She sounds like the right age for her to have eggs but we cant really tell without a photo. Could you upload a photo of the enclosure and your baby girl?

Attachments

• IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 184
oh yeah. she definitely has the color and the shape. She looks to be gravid. Do you know much about egg laying in chameleons?

they will normally not eat befor they lay. Has she been crawling around the bottom of the cage or crawling or digging in the dirt?

oh yeah. she definitely has the color and the shape. She looks to be gravid. Do you know much about egg laying in chameleons?
I really don't know much but Ive done some research where they needed like a big amount of at least a five gallon like organic like dirt which they can dig and it has to be like little moist ,I bought the "plastic vase" that contains the ficus ,and put it in her cage ,i tried making small holes ,if she wanted to dig,she just makes a mess sometimes on one side,there will be dirt on the bottom of her cage but not to much where there's a hole,like she was just maybe crawling. I'm not sure what else to know.Im just worried that she hasn't eaten and don't want anything to happen to her,when i let her out of her cage ,she likes to climb to the top of my head or stay on my shoulder,she stays calm.

they will normally not eat befor they lay. Has she been crawling around the bottom of the cage or crawling or digging in the dirt?
She has been crawling a lot to the bottom of her cage! and I was wondering why ,like I've never seen her do that before,like she was looking for something.But she doesn't really dig into the dirt ,she like just climbs on the tree little by the dirt but not really digging

yep. She is looking for a place to lay. So what i would do is take a 10 gallon fish tank or something you can fit a foot of dirt in and big enough for her to walk around and dig comfortably. Fill it with a foot of wet dirt (you want it jussstt wet enough so you can poke a hole in the dirt and not have it collapse) and whenever she goes to the bottom of the cage, take her out and put her in the bucket. Leave her alone for a day and MAKE SURE YOU DONT LOOK AT HER. i cant stress this enough. If they see you they will leave their hole and would have to dig a new one. Once she is done laying, she will be super dehydrated and super tired. make sure to water her (spray water in her snout softly or shower her (dripping water on her in the shower with a large stick to relax on)) and give her nutritious food. I would go to petco and buy a hornworm or buy them online. they are juicy and healthy and will get her better again quickly. They can easily die if you don't give her water and food after. I dont think im forgetting anything. If you have questions ask me any time. The eggs you can just flush down the toilet if they are not fertile.

yep. She is looking for a place to lay. So what i would do is take a 10 gallon fish tank or something you can fit a foot of dirt in and big enough for her to walk around and dig comfortably. Fill it with a foot of wet dirt (you want it jussstt wet enough so you can poke a hole in the dirt and not have it collapse) and whenever she goes to the bottom of the cage, take her out and put her in the bucket. Leave her alone for a day and MAKE SURE YOU DONT LOOK AT HER. i cant stress this enough. If they see you they will leave their hole and would have to dig a new one. Once she is done laying, she will be super dehydrated and super tired. make sure to water her (spray water in her snout softly or shower her (dripping water on her in the shower with a large stick to relax on)) and give her nutritious food. I would go to petco and buy a hornworm or buy them online. they are juicy and healthy and will get her better again quickly. They can easily die if you don't give her water and food after. I dont think im forgetting anything. If you have questions ask me any time. The eggs you can just flush down the toilet if they are not fertile.
Okay,I will do this as soon as tomorrow morning! If its okay can I send you a picture of the tank and amount of dirt to see if it looks okay?Where do you think I should put the gallon of tank? On the floor is okay?Or maybe on a table ? Should i leave her there like literally all day?Morning till night till the next day? What if she doesn't dig or do anything? and just tried to climb out? Thank you for your help

does not really matter where you put it but i would put it on the table with a t shirt over the top. Dont leave her in all day but you can verryyyy carefully peek every hour or so to see if she is digging or is done digging. If she does not do anything for the whole day, try again the next morning.

does not really matter where you put it but i would put it on the table with a t shirt over the top. Dont leave her in all day but you can verryyyy carefully peek every hour or so to see if she is digging or is done digging. If she does not do anything for the whole day, try again the next morning.
Okay ,Thank you very much, I will upload it here tomorrow!!:)

no problem at all. My girl whent through this and people helped me. Just helping another cham owner. goodluck :)
This is her at the moment,I was trying to get her to climb on my hand this morning and she seemed like she didn't want to move a lot but just stares ,but when i was able to get her to crawl on me,she started to immediatly try and crawl out of the "bucket" of dirt and playsand like she was scared and did not want to be there..not sure what to try

Attachments

• IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 125
they will try to crawl out. Try starting a hole for her. She will start do dig when she feels like it. Its normal for them to crawl out.

no problem at all. My girl whent through this and people helped me. Just helping another cham owner. goodluck :)
I mixed the organic soil with playsand and moist it with some water enough for the dirt to be soft and able to dig a hole,but she doesn't seem to like being in there, i covered the bucket with wrapping paper for darkness but she climbed out eventually.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 128
i would keep a light in there. And can you send a photo of her back feet??
This is her at the moment, i do have extra heat lamp red bulb if that would work?its the same temperature as her basking spot

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 98
okay it looked like she had a spur on her foot. i would just get a regular bulb because red has been known to hurt their eyes and change their sleeping patterns.

Back
Top Bottom