Chameleon in a camper

veggie_val

I have a 5 month veiled female with a set up that includes an automatic mister and UVB/heat lap on a timer. My boyfriend and I have recently started a plan to live in his camper van while we go to California State University in Long Beach. We would be living in a mobile home community 10 minutes from the beach. The camper is solar powered and also has a generator. I'm wondering if you guys have advice or suggestions on having my veiled live with us. I've been looking into the exo terra explorarium cage to hang. I have a year to plan, just trying to get a head start. Thank you!

If you arent planning on moving around in it a lot then id say you could still do a standard reptibreeze, and since you'll be in SoCal most months will be warm enough to keep the chameleon outside (at least during the day) low to mid 80s i found were the best days for my vieled but id say as low as 75 would be okay as long as the sun was shining. Either way make sure to wrap 3 sides of the cage at least 3/4th of the way up with shower curtain to help with humidity and keeping water off your furniture from misting. Good luck and great idea researching well in advance =)

If you arent planning on moving around in it a lot then id say you could still do a standard reptibreeze, and since you'll be in SoCal most months will be warm enough to keep the chameleon outside (at least during the day) low to mid 80s i found were the best days for my vieled but id say as low as 75 would be okay as long as the sun was shining. Either way make sure to wrap 3 sides of the cage at least 3/4th of the way up with shower curtain to help with humidity and keeping water off your furniture from misting. Good luck and great idea researching well in advance =)
Thank you for your response! Living in a van means all space inside is crucial which is why a hanging cage would be ideal for when she would have to be inside during lower temperatures. But it's good to know that this isn't an absolutely crazy idea, thanks again :)

I know there are bio bubble
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Bubble-Ch...qid=1456115306&sr=8-2&keywords=chameleon+cage
I dont know how well they work but it could be a good option for indoors, it can be standing or hanging too so its versatile

You could also take a smaller sized reptibreeze just for the winter months and configure it to be hanging by using 2 X 4s attached to the top of the cage (like the front and the back, or both sides) that way you can still have lights on the top while its hanging

Whatever you end up doing please let us know, im sure others are just as curious as I am to see what you come up with haha

I know there are bio bubble
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Bubble-Ch...qid=1456115306&sr=8-2&keywords=chameleon+cage
I dont know how well they work but it could be a good option for indoors, it can be standing or hanging too so its versatile

You could also take a smaller sized reptibreeze just for the winter months and configure it to be hanging by using 2 X 4s attached to the top of the cage (like the front and the back, or both sides) that way you can still have lights on the top while its hanging

Whatever you end up doing please let us know, im sure others are just as curious as I am to see what you come up with haha
Don't use the bubbles! Lol those little suckers are death traps. A reptibreeze can easily be converted into a hanging cage.

Don't use the bubbles! Lol those little suckers are death traps. A reptibreeze can easily be converted into a hanging cage.
I disagree they work great for smaller species, juvenile chams of larger, and retain humidity well in terms of space saving though they are pretty much the same size as an 18x18x36. There are some things to address on the though do not use the led cap light you need a basking light small enough to fit in the top and will most likey have to use a 40w (to get right temps for a veiled) or a 25w-30w (for temps for smaller montane/pygmy) bulb since the bubble retains heat and moisture better I used a Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp with a 40w and a 5.0 uvb bulb like all cages you need to tweak it to suite the needs of your chameleon.
I used one myself and moved her back to it to help her lay her 1st clutch which went well.
Here's a pic of one with a dwarf Jacksons in it my cham hated the fountain but it works here
maxresdefault.jpg

I disagree they work great for smaller species, juvenile chams of larger, and retain humidity well in terms of space saving though they are pretty much the same size as an 18x18x36. There are some things to address on the though do not use the led cap light you need a basking light small enough to fit in the top and will most likey have to use a 40w (to get right temps for a veiled) or a 25w-30w (for temps for smaller montane/pygmy) bulb since the bubble retains heat and moisture better I used a Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp with a 40w and a 5.0 uvb bulb like all cages you need to tweak it to suite the needs of your chameleon.
I used one myself and moved her back to it to help her lay her 1st clutch which went well.
Here's a pic of one with a dwarf Jacksons in it my cham hated the fountain but it works here
maxresdefault.jpg
Just my opinion I wouldn't use one. Are the tops ventilated at all? And you have a waterfall in yours?

The top is vented with a cap, I took the cap off. I had a cantina fountain in mine but my cham was terrified of it the pump vibrated the whole cage and she went nuts and would not go near it so it came out in less than a day other people love them say they work great it didn't for me.

I have a large reptibreeze right now as ventilation is a priority, so I don't know how confident I am with the bio bubble. That's why the exo terra explorarium seemed more appealing. However, that is another factor I need to think about is what to do when she's ready to lay eggs. Would I be able to put a pot in the exo terra explorarium? Thoughts?

I have a large reptibreeze right now as ventilation is a priority, so I don't know how confident I am with the bio bubble. That's why the exo terra explorarium seemed more appealing. However, that is another factor I need to think about is what to do when she's ready to lay eggs. Would I be able to put a pot in the exo terra explorarium? Thoughts?
I'm not sure what the exo terra looks like. It is like a glass terrarium? The bio bubbles have had alot of bad reports. Who ever designed it, did it with out thinking about chams. You can tell for starters by them putting a water fall in it. Secondly, its plastic and holds in alot of heat. You could always keep the bottom of the reptibreeze in and then when she"s ready to lay, remove the bottom and then slide a tote or garbage can underneath her cage and run vines, etc. down to it! Thats what I would do.

I have a 5 month veiled female with a set up that includes an automatic mister and UVB/heat lap on a timer. My boyfriend and I have recently started a plan to live in his camper van while we go to California State University in Long Beach. We would be living in a mobile home community 10 minutes from the beach. The camper is solar powered and also has a generator. I'm wondering if you guys have advice or suggestions on having my veiled live with us. I've been looking into the exo terra explorarium cage to hang. I have a year to plan, just trying to get a head start. Thank you!
hello I'm brett,,,i live in a static caravan I think you call them trailers in us,,,,,,,i keep 8 mellers in mine,,,,,,,i have lived in my caravan for many years,,,,,,my point is everyone is missing the point,,,,,,,you will have the same problems that I have,,,,,,,mobile homes,,,,get very very hot in the sun,,,,in a matter of 30 minutes when the sun hits your mobile home it will turn in to a oven,,,,,,,,,,,also the get very cold very quickly,,,,,,,,,,your 3rd problem is available space,,,,,,,so use your head,,,or you will loose your chameleon,,,,,,,,keeping your chameleon from getting to cold is easy,,,,, thermostat and heat source,,,,,,,,, the most difficult problem to solve is over heating ,,,which will happen in your camper van,,,,,,,it will kill your chameleon,,,,their is a solution , this will depend on the size of your camper van,, and the location you keep it at on the campsite,,,,,can you park your camper so that it is allway well shaded from the sun??? behind buildings or under trees?? also you can keep your chameleons in the part of your camper van which points north,,,,,the sun will not heater up the north part so much,,,,,south facing will get the sun on it the whole day,,will be much to hot for any chameleon ,,,,,,,,consider this,,,,,,,,,what type of viv to use,,,,their are many ,,to choose from,,,,,i would hang a cage from your ceiling,,hot air rises,,and will be much hotter close to the ceiling,,,,,,dont use glass,,,,glass radiates heat, and is heavy,,,,,my solution was to make my own,,to fit into available space,i used clear plastic/Perspex and mesh top,,,,works very well,,,plastic is light in weight,, and does not radiate heat,,plus is water proof,,so humidity can be maintained,,, the screen mesh top allows good ventilation and heat to escape,,,,,hope you find this use full

hello I'm brett,,,i live in a static caravan I think you call them trailers in us,,,,,,,i keep 8 mellers in mine,,,,,,,i have lived in my caravan for many years,,,,,,my point is everyone is missing the point,,,,,,,you will have the same problems that I have,,,,,,,mobile homes,,,,get very very hot in the sun,,,,in a matter of 30 minutes when the sun hits your mobile home it will turn in to a oven,,,,,,,,,,,also the get very cold very quickly,,,,,,,,,,your 3rd problem is available space,,,,,,,so use your head,,,or you will loose your chameleon,,,,,,,,keeping your chameleon from getting to cold is easy,,,,, thermostat and heat source,,,,,,,,, the most difficult problem to solve is over heating ,,,which will happen in your camper van,,,,,,,it will kill your chameleon,,,,their is a solution , this will depend on the size of your camper van,, and the location you keep it at on the campsite,,,,,can you park your camper so that it is allway well shaded from the sun??? behind buildings or under trees?? also you can keep your chameleons in the part of your camper van which points north,,,,,the sun will not heater up the north part so much,,,,,south facing will get the sun on it the whole day,,will be much to hot for any chameleon ,,,,,,,,consider this,,,,,,,,,what type of viv to use,,,,their are many ,,to choose from,,,,,i would hang a cage from your ceiling,,hot air rises,,and will be much hotter close to the ceiling,,,,,,dont use glass,,,,glass radiates heat, and is heavy,,,,,my solution was to make my own,,to fit into available space,i used clear plastic/Perspex and mesh top,,,,works very well,,,plastic is light in weight,, and does not radiate heat,,plus is water proof,,so humidity can be maintained,,, the screen mesh top allows good ventilation and heat to escape,,,,,hope you find this use full
Take the advice from someone who's doing it.

Thank you for your response. You definitely hit all the points I need to think about. I did think about cold weather but didn't think about overheating. I think I'm going to stick with an all mesh cage, just need to figure out which one works best and what to do for a egg laying bin.

I too thought about overheating, having lived in the typical mobile home in various places. Didn't know if your power sources could handle thermostat-controlled AC or not. This could well be your big issue for much of the year in CA, even on the coast. Now if your chams were outdoors it might not be as long as the cages had shade.

Back
Top Bottom