Chameleon Lighting

I free range and use a 10.0 UVB with a 60 watt heating lamp. If you have a cage you should use a 5.0 UVB and depending on the age of your cham the temp of your basking spot and how far it is away. Usually 1 40-60 watt bulb is sufficient. It all depends on what the reading of the temp is right on the basking spot. The next question is how old is your cham and what type is it because this determines the temp of the basking spot.

I got 2 florescent 6.5k bulbs and a 70w metal halibe UV/heat bulb. And a ceramic heater.

What kind of cham do you have. You don't need the ceramic heater because it will make the enclosure too hot. Definitely don't use a heater lamp of any kind during the day or night unless your house is below 60 degrees or a bulb at night. Also a halide bulb is too strong for a cham both for their eyes and heat. Halide is used for desert reptiles. What you need is a dome light with a 40-70 watt regular house hold incandescent bulb for the basking spot.
Also you need a 5.0 UVB bulb nothing stronger then that.

its the vieled in the picture and its an open cage so it doesnt get to hot. Metal halide only get to 87-88ish in the bask spot and the ambient air in in the mid to upper 70's. This bulb is way better than the floreceant I had, the 5.0 bulb was burning my chams eyes. Theres a couple good articles about those bulbs and how they can be dangerous.

its the vieled in the picture and its an open cage so it doesnt get to hot. Metal halide only get to 87-88ish in the bask spot and the ambient air in in the mid to upper 70's. This buld is way better than the floreceant I had, the 5.0 bulb was burning my chams eyes. Theres a couple good articles about those bulbs and how they can be dangerous.

Were you using a compact with a 5.0 UVB because they are known to burn the chams eyes? I was talking about the 5.0 UVB florescent linear tube style bulb that goes into a hood. Are the florescents you're using now 5.0 UVB?

na they are just 6.5k bulbs to fill in the rest of the spectrum and add more light to his cage, plus they will keep his plants growing.

Lighting and heat and humidity are one of the "most" important aspects of keeping a cham. I'm just helping you to get the right setup so that your cham will be happy and healthy. They are very prone to MBD without the correct lighting and will go down hill fast once you notice that the cham has it.

the reptileuv metal halide is supposed to be the best bulb on the market + my cham is magnatized to it.

na they are just 6.5k bulbs to fill in the rest of the spectrum and add more light to his cage, plus they will keep his plants growing.

You need a 5.0 UVB light or your cham won't survive! They need the UVB linear tube style light such as a 5.0 UVB ZooMed Reptisun to metabolize vitamin D which helps in the absorption of calcium. Without it your cham will get metabolic bone disease (MBD) that is an irreversible, debilitating bone condition which leads to death if untreated and even then your cham will probably develop other renal problems as a result of the disease. Also, get rid of the ceramic heater..it will make the enclosure to hot..it's not needed to raise a cham. No one on the forum uses them and there is a reason for that.

Also Metal Halide bulbs are used mostly for Reef Aquariums. that need a huge output of light and heat. They are not recommended for use with reptiles especially chams. They are too hot and too bright for a cham. Use it if you want and don't take my advice or the advice of others on this forum but your cham will become unhealthy in a short time which will result in vet bills and the death of your cham.

I know about UV,D3, lighting ect., reason I started the thread was to see what other people are running. There are a few options beside the tubes, there VHO's and plus beside a UV bulb you should fill the whole spectum out, which would work for LED setups or who knows. I know with the LED setup you can simulate lunar cycles, cloud cover, rain,ect. Was just wondering if anyone took it that far.

Also Metal Halide bulbs are used mostly for Reef Aquariums. that need a huge output of light and heat. They are not recommended for use with reptiles especially chams. They are too hot and too bright for a cham. Use it if you want and don't take my advice or the advice of others on this forum but your cham will become unhealthy in a short time which will result in vet bills and the death of your cham.

ditto...What neeed to be said was said...

I know about UV,D3, lighting ect., reason I started the thread was to see what other people are running. There are a few options beside the tubes, there VHO's and plus beside a UV bulb you should fill the whole spectum out, which would work for LED setups or who knows. I know with the LED setup you can simulate lunar cycles, cloud cover, rain,ect. Was just wondering if anyone took it that far.

interesting....but mite as well leave them outside:p...if temps are in range

Back
Top Bottom