Chameleon Possibly Dying

Gosh I'm so sorry to hear that. Poor little guy. Sounds like you did absolutely everything you could.

I would almost take him to the vet to get a necropsy done, to find out what caused his sudden downward spiral. Because if it's something the housesitter did, then they need to be held accountable. The fallen cage is very mysterious, and very suspicious, along with all the dead supers. If not, then at least you know what happened.

So sorry.

I would highly consider questioning your house sitter... but that's just me.

i would definately talk to the housekeeper!
sorry for you loss :(
sounds like you did everything you could for him.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. They mean a lot.

I know it's been awhile since I last posted to let you all know that Wilson didn't make it, and I just wanted to say it's not because I didn't care about replying to any of you, or anything like that. It's just been too hard to visit the forum again until now.

As my husband and I were cleaning up and putting away his cage, we discovered the bucket under his table that we keep extra stuff in was full of water. We also spoke with a neighbor and now we think we know what happened.
My neighbor claims that the day we went out of town, she heard my cats running around like crazy (she lives bellow us), and then heard a big crash. Apparently the cats must have been playing, and knocked over his cage, dislodging his mister so that it landed in the bucket under his table. This happened before the pet sitter arrived, and since we didn't have time to have her over before leaving to show her around, she didn't realize the cage wasn't supposed to be on it's side. Basically the entire week we were gone the mister went off in the bucket, and Wilson didn't get any water at all.
I don't blame the pet sitter. There was no way she could have known that there was something wrong since the cage, when it was knocked over, landed in a way that looked like we had set it there. I should have made it more of a priority as we got ready to leave, and insisted that she stop by so we could show her the set up and how it works in person. Leaving instructions simply isn't good enough, and Wilson paid for it.

After Wilson died we berried him under a tree in our friends yard. I have plans to hang a windchime in the tree, but I'm still searching for the perfect one.

Again, thank you all so much for your help, advice, and friendship. I really can't tell you how much it has meant to me as I've tried to deal with losing my friend. I never would have guessed that such a small little guy could mean so much to me.

Although I have no immediate plans of getting a new chameleon, I wish you all the best of luck, and hope to someday meet you all on the forums again.

May your chameleons be happy and healthy!!!

Aw, this is about the saddest story I have heard on here. I am so sorry for your loss of your little friend. It is hard to believe how attached we become to these amazing creatures, but they do become a part of your family. Hopefully Wilson did not die in vain and It would be a good lesson to all of us that to make sure whoever we leave in charge of our animals knows all the exact details on their care. On a happy note. There is a new member to the forum and she named her new little panther "Wilson". So we have another Wilson here on the forum. I hope one day you will feel right in your heart again to own another chameleon. I know how you feel though, I lost my dog three years ago after having him for 10 years and I still have not replaced him. Well, you take care and hope to see you on the forum again one of these days in the future..

sorry i didnt catch this thread earlier, although to be honest i doubt there is anything i could have done. not to place blame, but it sounds as though there may have been supplemental issues building for some time (your original post had an implication of excessive D3, imo weekly D3 is too much) excessive D3 can calcify organs and cause organ failure, imo, vomitting implies kidney failure, and the worst thing for any sort over-supplementation is adding dehydration to the list. its clear that he was not in the best of health to begin with, and that you guys cared for him a great deal. i think the fact that he was already of compromised health, combined with the trauma of whatever took place, and subsequent dehydration, was just too much for him. you can at least take solace in the fact that you gave him what any captive dying creature needs most in their final hours, love, whatever the issues, its clear that he at least had a loving home while he was alive. what ever the reasons, it sucks to lose one. Wilson, its clear he was loved, and i am sure he will be missed. if you ever decide to give xanths another try, give me a pm and i will do my best to see that you get started off with a healthy animal. jmo

Last edited:
brighteyez, thank you for completing the story for us. I fully understand why neither of you felt comfortable coming back here. Sometimes, we need to just step back a bit to grieve.

I do hope you'll dive back into chameleons someday. Your perspective will be completely different and the knowledge you've gained will help you so much with a new one.

Back
Top Bottom