chameleon sick

i really didnt want to because i dont want to hurt his feelings for making her sick but i will.
U wont hurt his feeling as long u asking him in a nice way,plus he did not stay by her cage 24/7 so anything can happen during the one week period time.could be anything as the all above posters mentioned....u will have to dig deeper even u dont have any money for the Vet right now,but the experience u learning is priceless.
Why not ask ur friend or family to help u bring this sick cham to a vet,that will be the best thing to do right now asap.

Do the right thing for ur cham,the earliest u get her to the vet,the chance of her getting well sooner,hopefully she will be better asap,keep us on her update plz.

We are not going to "make fun of you" because you don't have money for a vet. We get frustrated with keepers who don't lay aside funds for vet care however. Either way, your cham is very very sick and you really don't have a choice IMHO. Vomiting is quite serious. She isn't drinking or can't drink, but dehydration doesn't cause vomiting directly. Another possibility....She still looks pretty bloated despite laying eggs that recently. Possibly she has some retained eggs?

This. I never make fun of anybody with a sick animal, but long time keepers get very damn tired of answering the same questions or seeing arrogant newbies post their problems.

Your symptoms are serious. You can't go to a vet. I get it.

You said the animal was left with a friend, any chance she ate something she shouldn't have, or even something with ant or roach poison on it? I'm being specific for a reason.

The animal has good body weight and does not appear dehydrated. You asked for information, there it is when it comes to those two things. Something else is amiss.

Primary thing to do, keep her warm, not hot. She can't drink right now so you don't want to make her dehydrated. Keep the humidity up a bit too. Without a vet, you are just hoping she gets better on her own. For the symptoms you described, even if it was my own animal, I'd take it to the vet and I know a heck of a lot more about health problems than you do at your early stages of ownership. I'm not making fun of you, I'm trying to impress upon you the gravity of your animal's problem.

I have the Care Credit card. I had to get it after I used all my savings to replace the central AC at my house then my dog got pancreatitis. I had no money but I found a way to pay. I've used Care Credit for some of my chams too. It's easy to apply for and most vets accept it.

This. I never make fun of anybody with a sick animal, but long time keepers get very damn tired of answering the same questions or seeing arrogant newbies post their problems.

Your symptoms are serious. You can't go to a vet. I get it.

You said the animal was left with a friend, any chance she ate something she shouldn't have, or even something with ant or roach poison on it? I'm being specific for a reason.

The animal has good body weight and does not appear dehydrated. You asked for information, there it is when it comes to those two things. Something else is amiss.

Primary thing to do, keep her warm, not hot. She can't drink right now so you don't want to make her dehydrated. Keep the humidity up a bit too. Without a vet, you are just hoping she gets better on her own. For the symptoms you described, even if it was my own animal, I'd take it to the vet and I know a heck of a lot more about health problems than you do at your early stages of ownership. I'm not making fun of you, I'm trying to impress upon you the gravity of your animal's problem.
well thank you for your reply.. i will try my hardest and i will try the care credit card. Thanks everyone!

Before you go into debt over the animal, make damn sure the vet is one that knows about chameleons. No joke.

Very true! May not be a bad idea to ask what experience they have with chameleons. You don't need to waste valuable time and money on guess work.

I really dont have money. Is there free check ups or something? how could i help her? vet checkups are like 70$ right?
It all depends on the vet. Mine was willing to work with me, and made an agreement for me to pay later. His #1concern was helping my animal, and thank God it was, because he saved my cham's life! Call around and find a reptile vet in your area, and find out if they would be willing to work with you.

unfortunately, she died 2 nights ago. It was heartbreaking. We are sure the reason was it got super cold when i was gone and the person taking care of her accidently fed her mealworms wich are hard to digest, and she got backed up and that killed her. it was a very hard night. thank you for all your guyses help.

unfortunately, she died 2 nights ago. It was heartbreaking. We are sure the reason was it got super cold when i was gone and the person taking care of her accidently fed her mealworms wich are hard to digest, and she got backed up and that killed her. it was a very hard night. thank you for all your guyses help.
So sorry for ur lost,I dont mean to pry open ur wound......was she been fed to much mealworms during this whole week u were gone?
As the temperature goes,usually the veiled can stand the temperature around upper 50F at night,was the room temperature way lower than that??any basking light during the day??
The undigested mealworms in the stomach when the temperature is cold (assuming no basking light) will definitely does the damage to her.
Again Im so sorry for ur loss...R.I.P sweet little chamy:(

Last edited:
she had a basking light and it got down to 53 in the day and probably colder at night. The whole week she was fed them. Thank you for your reply. It was very sad because i spent basically all my money and extra time on her. she was taken care of untill then. RIP.

she had a basking light and it got down to 53 in the day and probably colder at night. The whole week she was fed them. Thank you for your reply. It was very sad because i spent basically all my money and extra time on her. she was taken care of untill then. RIP.
Unfortunately that friend of urs did not aware the colder temperatures factor will do more harm on a cold blood reptiles ,its a terrible accident that wait to be happen.she will be miss forever,R.I.P

I agree it was just a very sad accident. She was loved and has been missed through the christmas season. Im looking for a new cham but dont know where to get one as i dont want to buy from petco or petsmart and give them money for their animal abuse towards chams. If you know a place to buy amazing beautiful chams, let me know. thanks for the support. Rip

Back
Top Bottom