Chameleon sleeping during daytime

I’ll make sure to change the timings tomorrow and to order the vitamins tommorw, just to make sure I use it in replace of the calcium with d3, and use two times a month right? And is it this one?
Yep that’s the one. Give that on the 1st and 15th of each month.

Here’s my chameleons information, I’ve just bought the multivitamins and I’m changing his light timings tonight. Just wanting to eliminate some of the factors why he could be doing this, sorry to mither.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?Panther chameleon,male, around 4-5 months, I got him last month.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I’ve had to force handle him only twice to assemble his cage but ever since then, never.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Silent crickets, I offer him 10 and I leave the feeder in there all day. I gut load them with jelly pots.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using the ProRep cali dust without d3 every feeding,zoomed repti calcium dust with d3 2 times a month, and I use ProRep bee pollen 3-4 times a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I manually mist him 1-2 mins in the morning when lights are off and the same when light turn off for bed time. I use tap water but use the water conditioner, I don’t see him drink since I’m always at work so not sure. I also fog him for 15 mins per hour starting 2am till 8am
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His brown bit seems normal size and wetness, and the white bit has no yellow it’s fully white. Never tested him from parasites.

Take some pics for me tomorrow. Note they do better with normal sunrise to sunset lighting. I typically run my lighting 7am-6:30pm. My boy still beds down earlier though normally around 5.
Where are some pictures of him now. He was a dull colour before but he’s obviously gone darker when I went close to take pictures. He’s sitting near the bottom and it’s 4:30pm right now. I don’t know if he’s moved around but he’s in the same place as last time.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here’s my chameleons information, I’ve just bought the multivitamins and I’m changing his light timings tonight. Just wanting to eliminate some of the factors why he could be doing this, sorry to mither.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?Panther chameleon,male, around 4-5 months, I got him last month.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I’ve had to force handle him only twice to assemble his cage but ever since then, never.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Silent crickets, I offer him 10 and I leave the feeder in there all day. I gut load them with jelly pots.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using the ProRep cali dust without d3 every feeding,zoomed repti calcium dust with d3 2 times a month, and I use ProRep bee pollen 3-4 times a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I manually mist him 1-2 mins in the morning when lights are off and the same when light turn off for bed time. I use tap water but use the water conditioner, I don’t see him drink since I’m always at work so not sure. I also fog him for 15 mins per hour starting 2am till 8am
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His brown bit seems normal size and wetness, and the white bit has no yellow it’s fully white. Never tested him from parasites.
Just a couple of suggestions. Offer more variety of feeders and give them ‘real’ food. The jelly pots and all are convenient, but they are primarily good only for hydration. To help your feeders be the most nutritious, go by the graphic below.
Hopefully switching out the D3 and bee pollen for the Repashy LoD will help. Just an fyi - bee pollen has anecdotally caused gular edema. @Beman can tell you more on this.
I would most definitely get a fecal parasite check just to rule that out.
Basking temp is just a touch high. Try to keep it below 29c.
Bamboo gets very slick when wet. Wooden dowels mold. I advise getting natural branches and swapping out the bamboo for them. Do get a variety of thicknesses to keep mitten feet exercised. Avoid branches with sap or odor, like pines and eucalyptus. Just wash with soapy water, rinse well and air or sun dry.
IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Per the bee pollen it can be over done when given orally and we have seen chams develop edema from this. I would recommend giving it to insects in the gutload instead.

Notes from the info already given. Really want to adjust basking level need 8-9 inches to the branches from the UVB sitting on the top screen. And I would highly recommend switching out the bamboo branches. Not only do these get slick but they can splinter. Real branches or fake vines made by flukers instead are recommended.

From these pics I can not see anything specifically standing out other than the lack of proper multivitamin with A. However chams can do this when there is an illness as well. If he is only tucking in before lights off then I would not be as concerned. If he is going down to sleep during the day that is where cause for concern would be.

Per the bee pollen it can be over done when given orally and we have seen chams develop edema from this. I would recommend giving it to insects in the gutload instead.

Notes from the info already given. Really want to adjust basking level need 8-9 inches to the branches from the UVB sitting on the top screen. And I would highly recommend switching out the bamboo branches. Not only do these get slick but they can splinter. Real branches or fake vines made by flukers instead are recommended.

From these pics I can not see anything specifically standing out other than the lack of proper multivitamin with A. However chams can do this when there is an illness as well. If he is only tucking in before lights off then I would not be as concerned. If he is going down to sleep during the day that is where cause for concern would be.
Well I’m not sure when he was there since I only got back home from work at 5ish, I’ve sorted out his light schedule now so I’ll see what he’s like at the weekend. I would nip to the vets to have a general check up but I’m struggling to find a reptile vets near me, I can’t seem to find any anywhere.

Just a couple of suggestions. Offer more variety of feeders and give them ‘real’ food. The jelly pots and all are convenient, but they are primarily good only for hydration. To help your feeders be the most nutritious, go by the graphic below.
Hopefully switching out the D3 and bee pollen for the Repashy LoD will help. Just an fyi - bee pollen has anecdotally caused gular edema. @Beman can tell you more on this.
I would most definitely get a fecal parasite check just to rule that out.
Basking temp is just a touch high. Try to keep it below 29c.
Bamboo gets very slick when wet. Wooden dowels mold. I advise getting natural branches and swapping out the bamboo for them. Do get a variety of thicknesses to keep mitten feet exercised. Avoid branches with sap or odor, like pines and eucalyptus. Just wash with soapy water, rinse well and air or sun dry.
View attachment 359510View attachment 359511
Not really sure when I can get a parasites checked, if I did I definitely would.

So you would get a fecal test run at a vets office. @elizaann2 can add the vet list so you can see if there is anyone near you.

You could get a webcam so you can see what his behavior actually is. This will give you a better idea if he is just bedding down early or if there is a cause for concern.

So you would get a fecal test run at a vets office. @elizaann2 can add the vet list so you can see if there is anyone near you.

You could get a webcam so you can see what his behavior actually is. This will give you a better idea if he is just bedding down early or if there is a cause for concern.
Ahhh I never thought of a webcam that’s a great idea I’m definitely getting one installed, let’s say if it is something serious, what signs would he show, what factors could make him like this judging from the info, just the supplements?

Ahhh I never thought of a webcam that’s a great idea I’m definitely getting one installed, let’s say if it is something serious, what signs would he show, what factors could make him like this judging from the info, just the supplements?
Well bedding down early even a few hours before lights off is totally normal. If he is doing it mid day and it is illness related you can see lack of appetite, funky fecal odor, not getting up and moving around during the day, etc depending on what is going on. Any sign of gaping is a big sign of temp/respiratory issue.

The lack of vitamin A is typically associated with issues targeting food. I have not seen a chameleon sleep during the day because of that alone.

Well bedding down early even a few hours before lights off is totally normal. If he is doing it mid day and it is illness related you can see lack of appetite, funky fecal odor, not getting up and moving around during the day, etc depending on what is going on. Any sign of gaping is a big sign of temp/respiratory issue.

The lack of vitamin A is typically associated with issues targeting food. I have not seen a chameleon sleep during the day because of that alone.
Okay thanks you some much, so much useful information, my camera and supplements are coming tommorw so I’ll keep you updated. I’ll stalk him while I’m at work aha and I’ll see if he’s active or not. Thank you so much for the help

Attached you'll find out vet list :)

Attachments

• Chameleon Forums Vet List 2024 U.S.A..pdf
    157 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom