Cheapest panther chameleon?

RobertsKitty

I am interested in a panther chameleon but I really don't want to spend a ton. I want a male but don't care about anything else. What options are available?

I am interested in a panther chameleon but I really don't want to spend a ton. I want a male but don't care about anything else. What options are available?

you would have to search. you could look in the classifieds here too, or site sponsors, but all panthers, unless just needing a good home fast, will run you over $200

There really is no CHEAP panther cham unless you want a female, which will still be around $200 at some of the lowest. If you want a nice ambilobe, ambanja, Nosy Be, etc. It can range from $300-$450.

There really is no CHEAP panther cham unless you want a female, which will still be around $200 at some of the lowest. If you want a nice ambilobe, ambanja, Nosy Be, etc. It can range from $300-$450.

Yeah what Swayne said, they really aren't cheap animals, if you were looking for a chameleon you may want to start with a Veiled for some experience if you are a first time owner, they are really similar to Panthers in care so that would give you some practice until you want to make that investment. Just my thought on the subject. Good luck!

Action shots are $7 though. He doesn't go through risky maneuvers for photo ops for free. Lol.

Define a ton?

Keep your eyes opened on Craigslist, faunaclassifieds, kingsnake, and here. I've seen male Ambilobe panthers as little as $150 or for adoption if you're really set up and an experienced keeper.

If you're observant and paying attention you can probably find a CB baby for around 200 and that is likely to be the best you'll do. If you can't afford vet bills don't bother with a WC which you might be able to find for cheaper i the initial purchase price but total cost will exceed a CB very quickly.

A cross is probably your best shot at a more affordable panther. These can run closer to $100 if you are lucky. And sometimes breeders like the Chameleon Company have pure panther males starting at $150. You just have to keep checking and keep your eyes open. Classifieds like here, Faunaclassifieds.com, or kingsnake.com are the best places to find healthy animals. On craigslist you may get lucky but I don't know that you'd be getting a healthy animal.

These are expensive animals to house though. I understand the not wanting to pay $300 for the animal itself but their set-up and up-keep will be much more expensive than that of most other reptiles, I can promise you that!

http://http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=52&de=934254

Theres a viel for 55 bucks.

However if I may I think a jackons cham makes the best for a first time cham.

They are hardy and require less humidity, heat, then a panther or vieled and can even be okay in lower temps (as long as they can heat up during the day).

Thats what I think anyway. However if you reallly don't want a jacksons then a vieled probably would be better then a panther. I have yet to own a panther (alas!) but they are harder to keep.

However if I may I think a jackons cham makes the best for a first time cham.

They are hardy and require less humidity, heat, then a panther or vieled and can even be okay in lower temps (as long as they can heat up during the day)..

Jackson's definitely require more humidity due to the fact that they are naturally from higher elevations, Tanzania... They are not as "hardy" either as they are more sensitive to supplements. You are right about the lower temps though.

You should check this Jackson's vid out cause I think you are misinformed my friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The reason I was more attracted to panthers is because I have heard veils tend to get...I guess 'grumpy' is a good word, as they get older where panthers have less tendency to become quite as fussy toward people in or around their enclosure.

Humidity or care isn't the problem. I am saving for a down payment on a house and so we are looking to find one that is a bit on the cheaper side.

sir i sent you pm, your not aloud to "advertise" thats why i sent the message XD and idk my vieled only got grumpy after i got my panther he must be jelous

Jackson's definitely require more humidity due to the fact that they are naturally from higher elevations, Tanzania... They are not as "hardy" either as they are more sensitive to supplements. You are right about the lower temps though.

You should check this Jackson's vid out cause I think you are misinformed my friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Good video, I have only raised jacksons myself and while I have yet to have a different kind of chameleon (something that will be rectified once I am in the right situation). Yes I consider jacksons to be hearty. They like lower temps then panthers or viels. That is a great video and I agree with most of what he says... though not all.

However I know that jacksons need hight humidity, I was under the impression for some reason that vieled needed more. I suppose I should shut my mouth about other chams unless I do more research.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

The reason I was more attracted to panthers is because I have heard veils tend to get...I guess 'grumpy' is a good word, as they get older where panthers have less tendency to become quite as fussy toward people in or around their enclosure.

Humidity or care isn't the problem. I am saving for a down payment on a house and so we are looking to find one that is a bit on the cheaper side.

Don't always believe the stats on veilds and panthers, I own both and my veilds are MUCH sweeter than my ambilobe... though he is improving! Both of my veilds 'tolerate' being handled quite well, and my female actually enjoys coming out to sit on anyone's shoulder that will hold her!

Also, be careful buying 'lower' costing panthers. Some breeders who sell the panthers at the lower prices are absolutely fine to buy from, and are reputable breeders. However, this is not always the case, and sometimes the lower cost can be a red-flag. Be able to contact the breeder. If the breeder is not willing to talk to you via phone, or not willing to send you pictures of the parents, be incredibly cautious. If the breeder lives near you, they should be willing to let you come see their parents, etc. Sometimes it is worth paying a little extra to ensure that you are getting a healthy animal :)

There are people on these forums that sell panthers,as already mentioned you can checkout kingsnake another person that sells quality chams at a reasonable price is Jim at the Chameleon Company.You can always try a local reptile show that will at least save you costs associated with shipping and you will be able to pick the cham of your choosing.Unless you already own a setup for a chameleon be prepared to spend more on that than the actual chameleon.

If money is an issue I would suggest not buying a panther chameleon then. The Chameleon is going to be your only expense. To get a cage that will suit an adult panther chameleon is going to cost you at least an addition $100 or so. An entire Chameleon set up will cost you another pretty penny.

Good video, I have only raised jacksons myself and while I have yet to have a different kind of chameleon (something that will be rectified once I am in the right situation). Yes I consider jacksons to be hearty. They like lower temps then panthers or viels. That is a great video and I agree with most of what he says... though not all.

However I know that jacksons need hight humidity, I was under the impression for some reason that vieled needed more. I suppose I should shut my mouth about other chams unless I do more research.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

no problem I love Jackson's myself and I am really debating on getting one they are awesome looking chams! I have also read that they tend to be friendlier :)

Back
Top Bottom