choosing the right setup

mark246lynn

Hi, i am new to this forum and have been fancying a chameleon for a while now. i have been reseaching into to it, but every site seems to have different answers.
My question is, i have found two good set ups on lllreptile.com and was wondering is evertyhing i need included for a yemon chameleon, if not, what eles do i need or is there any better places to get a full set up.

set up 1 http://www.lllreptile.com/products/26-100-gallon-chameleon-package

set up 2 http://www.lllreptile.com/products/19666-aluminum-screen-cage-ultimate-chameleon-package

I had one of the first complete set ups and ended up replacing it with a proper screen cage - It comes with stuff you'll never use like the moss and the thermometer that doesn't stick well - and I still had to add live plants and vines. The top of the cage had melting problems and zipper problems.
The second one has dome lights and it's too small for a full grown chameleon

I like a tube UBV - myself and it gives better coverage.
This package has quality stuff that you would actually use and nothing you don't need, but is way more expensive.
http://canvaschams.com/product-tag/supplies/

With their smallest cage you would still need to upgrade to a bigger cage at some point- but your light fixture would still be good with the bigger cage and the lights don't need to be replaced as often as they are Arcadia -
If I wanted to save money I would go with a good cage and good lights and get most of the other additions at Lowes and/or at a Reptile show.

Thank, the Lifetime Series Panther Package seems pretty good. I would buy more real plants though. Will this cage be big enough for ever or will i still need a bigger one at some point.

Any other suggestions from anyone would be much appericated aswell
Thanks

Most likely you would want to go bigger at some point - If your thinking of a canvas cage I would e-mail them - I had great luck working with them. I ended up with a double cage for my panther that can be split in the future so I can have two smaller species because I didn't want to spend a bundle on a great big cage after deciding that I prefer smaller chameleons. (I'm hoping my big guy will live a long & happy life but I was thinking very long term)
I have their double fixture for my Jackson's lights and want to upgrade the other two cages when the time runs out on my other lighting. I just wish I had had the option to start with the good lighting to begin with.

yeah i dont want any cheap lighting that will only work for a few months. i would rather spend the money on a really good kit with all the basics. other the plants, what else would you suggest to buy if i was to get that kit

It's the bulbs that only last 6 months and you can get Arcadia bulb in t8 (regular fixtures) but the t5's last a year - I have the T5's double fixture with a plant light - and my plant in the cage that it's in doesn't die as quickly (I can kill any plant) - the 24 inch fixture can be moved to a bigger cage -
I personally would go with a cheaper small cage for the first couple of months with a good light fixture that can be moved to his (or her) big boy cage or start with a big cage and plan on cup feeding and a slightly older chameleon. The main problem with the bigger cages is that it's harder for little guys to find food.
You'll need calcium with and without D and a multi , basking light -( I use regular daylight bulbs in various wattages to get the right temps-) and either a misting system or a sprayer. Vines and branches and a gauge for humidity & temperature.
For vines and branches you can get them in your yard and clean and bake-
The pumps in the garden department at Lowes or Home Depot work better than a spray bottle - and Monsoon misters are to total waste of money-
you can get an indoor outdoor gauge at Lowes/HD also.
FLChams also has cage packages (they are also a sponsor as is Canvas)
The best place to start is the resource section here
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/enclosures/
If you haven't checked it out yet - I spent a month on here before I could navigate the site well.

Back
Top Bottom