Clipping nails

No, do not clip them. Nails that are too long is usually a sign that the branches and vines are too small or soft. You should add larger diameter branches and wood climbing surfaces to your cage. This will allow the nails to wear down naturally.

image.jpg

That's a good branch for this. Give it some time, and they should wear down naturally. To entice her to use the branch, you can use it as a feeding post for worms.

It is very important to provide a variety of size and materials of vines and branches for foot health - both to keep the nails trim but also to avoid injuries or pressure sores on the feet. This is emphasized heavily in bird keeping, but I don't think we talk about it enough for chameleons. I also believe that having a big variety of climbing opportunities both horizontal and vertical reduces the chance your cham will want to climb the screen and potentially rip out a claw.

That's a good branch for this. Give it some time, and they should wear down naturally. To entice her to use the branch, you can use it as a feeding post for worms.

It is very important to provide a variety of size and materials of vines and branches for foot health - both to keep the nails trim but also to avoid injuries or pressure sores on the feet. This is emphasized heavily in bird keeping, but I don't think we talk about it enough for chameleons. I also believe that having a big variety of climbing opportunities both horizontal and vertical reduces the chance your cham will want to climb the screen and potentially rip out a claw.

Hey @Lathis, I had a quick question about nails. I know once they are ripped out they will not regrow. However, it looks like a couple of my boys have either broken off or been rubbed down to just a small nub. Will those grow back into long points like the others? There's definitely still nail there, just not much.

Hey @Lathis, I had a quick question about nails. I know once they are ripped out they will not regrow. However, it looks like a couple of my boys have either broken off or been rubbed down to just a small nub. Will those grow back into long points like the others? There's definitely still nail there, just not much.

If the nail bed hasn't been damaged, they should recover with time. Like you said, it's when they get ripped out that they don't grow back.

If the nail bed hasn't been damaged, they should recover with time. Like you said, it's when they get ripped out that they don't grow back.

I figured that but I just wanted to make sure. They've been this way for what seems like quite a while. Thanks Lathis!

Wow, those nails are long. I've been waiting for some good information about nails cause my cham'so nails are getting to this point as well. I don't want him to get them ripped out. Anybody use a dremel to file them down?

Wow, those nails are long. I've been waiting for some good information about nails cause my cham'so nails are getting to this point as well. I don't want him to get them ripped out. Anybody use a dremel to file them down?

If your cham's nails are that long, get bigger branches to naturally wear them down. You should have a variety of branches sizes and materials anyway. For God's sake, do not dremel your chameleon's nails. o.o

If your cham's nails are that long, get bigger branches to naturally wear them down. You should have a variety of branches sizes and materials anyway. For God's sake, do not dremel your chameleon's nails. o.o
You know you can use a Drexel to file nails down, right? It doesn't hurt them if you do it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom