Closed eyes

Sherbertsmysunshine

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have unfortunate news..
A few days ago, sherbert stopped eating. I assumed he was on another hunger strike, but I started to get worried the more he went without eating. Saturday I realized his eyes were a bit sunken in. I started to offer extra water, but quickly realized these two symptoms went together. This afternoon I found Sherbert with his eyes closed. I can not find fresh poop anywhere, and I'm really worried he has parasites. Is there any way to get him tested without a fecal? Here's a picture of him. Do his front legs look swollen?
20241021_141036.jpg

Oh no! So sorry to see this! As far as I know having a physical sample of poo is the only way to check for parasites. Has he had them in the past? I would make a vet appt and have some blood work done if you can, the combo of these symptoms could be anything. The sunken eyes so soon are a big concern, I don't think his arm looks swollen.

Oh no! So sorry to see this! As far as I know having a physical sample of poo is the only way to check for parasites. Has he had them in the past? I would make a vet appt and have some blood work done if you can, the combo of these symptoms could be anything. The sunken eyes so soon are a big concern, I don't think his arm looks swollen.
Vet appointment is as soon as they open tomorrow. He has had four fecal tests (since in my care, almost two years.) and all have been negative. I ordered Silkworms to see if he will eat those so I can get a fecal sample. I recently got his bugs from a different pet store, so I wonder if he got something from those…

Oh poor buddy, I don’t think his arms look swollen. I wish you both luck at the vet tomorrow, you got this sherbert ❤️❤️❤️
Thank you Ghostbirb! I think I'm going to move Arnold (his bearded brother) out of the room to help with stress. We have had a lot of guests over recently and that deffentily won't help. His eyes don't look as sunken right now, and he's opening them again. Sherbert is a strong boy and will do anything to get better!
Screenshot_20241021-160737_Wyze.jpg

This could be an infection in the body as well which they would do blood work for... But based on his current looks he is showing signs of shut down being eyes closing during the day and starting to sink into the turret. I do not see any sign of swelling in the limbs.
What do I need to do to help that? I have a vet tomorrow, can I do anything to help him before them?

What do I need to do to help that? I have a vet tomorrow, can I do anything to help him before them?
Its hard because if it is illness then not really... Get some hornworms and see if he will take them. That will increase hydration at least. But the turrets sinking in like this in a healthy cham indicates illness not dehydration. Petco and petsmart carry these in the pre packaged ones. They are pricey but if they are the right size to feed off and not too large then it is worth it.

Note If your supplements are on point then do not let them give a vitamin shot. Also unless they run a fecal there determining a parasite load do not let them give a dewormer. Both of these I have seen take down chams that are in this sensitive state.

Its hard because if it is illness then not really... Get some hornworms and see if he will take them. That will increase hydration at least. But the turrets sinking in like this in a healthy cham indicates illness not dehydration. Petco and petsmart carry these in the pre packaged ones. They are pricey but if they are the right size to feed off and not too large then it is worth it.

Note If your supplements are on point then do not let them give a vitamin shot. Also unless they run a fecal there determining a parasite load do not let them give a dewormer. Both of these I have seen take down chams that are in this sensitive state.
I will get some hornworms. He still is moving around and drinking his water. But around 2:00pm he closed his eyes for about 30 minutes. I checked on him and he was climbing around and drinking water. I wish I would have noticed earlier and took his fecal to get tested when he first stoped eating.

I will get some hornworms. He still is moving around and drinking his water. But around 2:00pm he closed his eyes for about 30 minutes. I checked on him and he was climbing around and drinking water. I wish I would have noticed earlier and took his fecal to get tested when he first stoped eating.
Ugh, I read this and my heart sank. I love Sherbert and I hate hearing that he is not feeling well. They hide their illnesses so well, please don't beat yourself up not noticing this sooner. Please keep us posted on how the vet appointment goes. Sending you and him lots of love.

Ugh, I read this and my heart sank. I love Sherbert and I hate hearing that he is not feeling well. They hide their illnesses so well, please don't beat yourself up not noticing this sooner. Please keep us posted on how the vet appointment goes. Sending you and him lots of love.
Thank you! We really need it. A fly flew in his enclosure and he tried to eat it, it flew away too soon but he is hunting it down right now. I’m going to find a store that has some black soldier flies, or even fruit flies, anything to get him to eat.

Thank you! We really need it. A fly flew in his enclosure and he tried to eat it, it flew away too soon but he is hunting it down right now. I’m going to find a store that has some black soldier flies, or even fruit flies, anything to get him to eat.
So glad to hear that! I hope you can find some bugs he will eat. Silks, hornworms and supers are all bugs none of my chams will turn down.

So glad to hear that! I hope you can find some bugs he will eat. Silks, hornworms and supers are all bugs none of my chams will turn down.
He ate four dubia roaches!!!! I had to put them in a certain spot, but he ate four!! I have silkworms coming tomorrow, but I wasn’t able to find hornworms, I’ll check tomorrow before once all the stores open. I’m so happy he ate, once he did he got brighter and his eyes started looking better!

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 1
He ate four dubia roaches!!!! I had to put them in a certain spot, but he ate four!! I have silkworms coming tomorrow, but I wasn’t able to find hornworms, I’ll check tomorrow before once all the stores open. I’m so happy he ate, once he did he got brighter and his eyes started looking better!
Oh I’m so happy! I wonder if you could overnight some horn worms?

Try not to stress. It could be an illness he is fighting off. Kinda like when we get sick we slow down and crawl into bed. May not have anything to do with parasites. The fact that he is eating now is a good thing. He is just showing the signs that something is wrong and now you are able to see it because he is showing you. They are masters at hiding things.

Try not to stress. It could be an illness he is fighting off. Kinda like when we get sick we slow down and crawl into bed. May not have anything to do with parasites. The fact that he is eating now is a good thing. He is just showing the signs that something is wrong and now you are able to see it because he is showing you. They are masters at hiding things.
The vet called after I sent a picture and thinks it might be the start of an infection. I was freaking out when I saw him close his eyes but now that he’s moving around and eating some food I feel a lot better.

Thank you all for your support and help ❤️

Back
Top Bottom