Cloudy eye

Gambit

My baby veiled which Ive had for a little over a month has a film over his eye. I am not sure it is shedding skin because it looks like there is something in it. Any thing I can try to flush his eye out and see if that works? He is healthy besides that and eats fine. New to this site, thanks for any help.

Hello, Welcome to Chameleon Forums :)

Is this white film directly over the eye? Or on the outside skin around the center? Is your chameleon also shedding his body? Or is just his eye white? I would not recommend washing his eye out at all, unlike snakes, chameleons and other lizards do not shed there eye caps, so this could be potentially very bad. I would recommend taking him to the vets although for a better online diagnosis you could fill in this guide along with any pictures which would help greatly too:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Is this white film directly over the eye? yes. sometimes it looks normal and black. most others it looks white.

Or on the outside skin around the center? its hard to tell since he is always moving it but i will get him out and double check.

Is your chameleon also shedding his body? Or is just his eye white? just the eye. he shed about 6-7 days ago

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled
How long has it been in your care? 1-1 1/2 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once a week
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? meal worms and pin head crickets
What amount? i offer a few mealworms in a 1/4inch deep dish and several crickets morning and night
What is the schedule?
How are you gut-loading your feeders? potato, calcium, and starting greens
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? reptisafe stuff i think it is
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? made a mister that goes off several times a day for a couple minutes each and drips down the fake vines onto the fake tree
How often and how long to you mist? timer goes off every few hours and i hand-mist morning and night
Do you see your chameleon drinking? now and then. he is still shy.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? normal brown and white

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass screen combo until i get the big LLL cage. 10 gallon glass with same sized screen topper.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? repti basking light, uvb bulb, and red night basker
What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 on and off on timers
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 90 in basking spot, 78-80ish in bottom half of tank.
Lowest overnight temp? 73-75
How do you measure these temps? temp gauges
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 80-85% after misting, drops to 30-40% after.
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misting manual and auto. getting a humidifier soon and live plants
What do you use to measure humidity? gauge
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? not yet
Placement - Where is your cage located? in a corner of living room
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? near a vent that is blowing opposite way
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 4-4 1/2 ft
Location - Where are you geographically located? KY

Current Problem - film on or in eye. will confirm in a few.

hi, there are a few things that need changing. I know you are getting another cage, but a 10 gallon aquarium is not sufficient housing for a chameleon. They provide inadequate ventilation. Your basking temp is too hot if you have a young chameleon. what wattage light are you using. low 80's is best. No light at night, red or any other color. Reptisafe is not a supplement. you need three supplements: calcium no d3 every feeding, calcium with d3 twice monthly and a multivitamin twice a month also. bottom half of tank should be in the low to mid 70's. Cage is too hot overall. how old is the chameleon

40 watt daytime bulb for basking. just checked and I was wrong. temp is 80-83 sorry. i was using the red heat bulb at night because the temps were about 68-70 in whole cage. is that okay? what kind of multivitamin do you use? and how do you feed it to him? Dust? and i use a calcium based cricket food and water gel. is that okay?

i have had him 5-6 weeks. I was told he was about a month since he was only 2 inches long roughly when i got him

I would recommend an upgrade in tank soon :)
is the UV a 5.0 UV Bulb?
I also wouldn't use a heat lamp at night, turning all lights off at night is recommended for a better heat drop.
Have you tried offering him any green veg? I also wouldnt feed silkworms every day. But every few days as a treat. They are very fatty :D.
Calcium is recommended for every feed. Calcium + D3 is recommended 1-2 times a month and vitamin supplements also 2-3 times a month.

However, the more pressing matter is the white eye. Monitor your chameleon over the next few days, appetite and how alert he is with the eye, does he blink or close this eye? I would also strongly recommend taking him to the vets within the next few days if symptoms become worse or if nothing improves

To use the supplements simply dust your crickets/locust/worms in the powder and feed to your chameleon. The night time temperatures are also fine without the bulb (60-65 is recommended). Good supplements are Zoo Med "Reptivite" and "Repti Calcium"

I would recommend an upgrade in tank soon :)
is the UV a 5.0 UV Bulb?
I also wouldn't use a heat lamp at night, turning all lights off at night is recommended for a better heat drop.
Have you tried offering him any green veg? I also wouldnt feed silkworms every day. But every few days as a treat. They are very fatty :D.
Calcium is recommended for every feed. Calcium + D3 is recommended 1-2 times a month and vitamin supplements also 2-3 times a month.

However, the more pressing matter is the white eye. Monitor your chameleon over the next few days, appetite and how alert he is with the eye, does he blink or close this eye? I would also strongly recommend taking him to the vets within the next few days if symptoms become worse or if nothing improves

you are incorrect about silkworms. They are not fatty in the least bit and basically have the same fat content as crickets. They can be fed everyday. He said he was feeding mealworms anyways!

you are incorrect about silkworms. They are not fatty in the least bit and basically have the same fat content as crickets. They can be fed everyday. He said he was feeding mealworms anyways!

Sorry I was thinking of wax worms for some bizarre reason then. (these are very fatty)

40 watt daytime bulb for basking. just checked and I was wrong. temp is 80-83 sorry. i was using the red heat bulb at night because the temps were about 68-70 in whole cage. is that okay? what kind of multivitamin do you use? and how do you feed it to him? Dust? and i use a calcium based cricket food and water gel. is that okay?

in that type of enclosure you do not want the basking temp any higher than 80 or so especially for that young of a chameleon.With such a small tank there is little room for him to cool off. No heat at night, those temps are fine. I use Herptivite for a multi. You dust your feeders with all the supplements. I would use fresh fruits and vegetables and ditch the calcium based cricket food. Water gel is ok , but again I would use oranges for hydration. Just my opinio.... Check with our member Sandrachameleon on her page. She has tons of info on how to gutload your feeders.

Are these supplements the multivitamin you were talking about?

Yes its a 5.0 UV bulb. not the tube, but the scrolling energy saving bulb style one

I have been keeping an eye on it for 2 days now. He closes it at night when he sleeps. and looks around with it just fine. I run my finger along that side of the cage and his cloudy eye follows it just fine. and I havent noticed him blinking.

Are these supplements the multivitamin you were talking about?

Yes its a 5.0 UV bulb. not the tube, but the scrolling energy saving bulb style one

I have been keeping an eye on it for 2 days now. He closes it at night when he sleeps. and looks around with it just fine. I run my finger along that side of the cage and his cloudy eye follows it just fine. and I havent noticed him blinking.

a multivitamin is one of the three supplements that are required

Gotcha. I will go out and get them tomorrow. Any ideas on what his eye problem could be? I just want him to be okay again. he thinks he is fine and continues to do his normal routine everyday. imperfections just bug and worry me.

Pictures would help although if he is still responsive and normal in apatite etc.. I would just monitor him for now. The vets is obviously a safeguard, make sure it does not develop into something nasty

ill try to. im going to get him out in a few and see if that helps with the pic. the ones i took a few mins ago are blurry from him moving his eye

pics of left eye and one of right to compare. sorry iphone pics are not best

395963_10151296801090576_561870575_22718672_461977703_n.jpg

419096_10151296801275576_561870575_22718674_353810588_n.jpg

418428_10151296801520576_561870575_22718675_481721787_n.jpg

409080_10151296801670576_561870575_22718676_1245022287_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom