Coil Bulb

Matt1851

Im aware that the coil UVB bulbs are bad for chameleons, but will this same rule apply for a house hold enegry saving coil bulb? My Normal bulb just burnt out and im using that one for light in my chams terrarium as im immobile and cannot get out to grab another.

My cham has been under a UV coil bulb for her whole life. Shes fine.

Hi Dave,

I seen a post the other day about the coils being changed from 2007 (i think) to a safer medium....but the olders ones are know for causing eye issues. Although i have also had no problems with mine :)

I believe the coil bulb issues are now resolved. Originally , I think it was that he manufacturers produced phophors that allowed a spike in part of the light band. The only danger now is possibly buying a bulb that is old stock.

People are mixing up 2 different issues in this thread. The original poster is asking about non-UVB compact fluorescents, which are completely safe. The UVB CFL are the ones with a tattered past. There is a good article on lighting (including notes on CFL) here: http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulWeldon.html On a side note, I have over 25 ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB CFL bulbs running on my enclosures without issue.

Chris

Just curious, Chris, why do you use the CFL-type bulbs? Do they save space or do you find them more effective? Would love to hear more about your use.

Just curious, Chris, why do you use the CFL-type bulbs? Do they save space or do you find them more effective? Would love to hear more about your use.

They save space, fit into the hoods designed for my enclosures and give off brighter light for their size than linear fluorescents.

Why use a household CFL?

I use household 6500K CFL lights in addition to my UVB lights to increase the ambient lighting and for the benefit of the plants and chameleon. The light intensity given off from UVB lights hardly replicates the color or intensity of visible light in nature and these bulbs help increase the quality of the light in the enclosure without increasing the heat load in the enclosure.

Chris

Yeah, that would work. Mine are made by Bright Effects and I got them at Lowe's. They screw into an incandescent fixture, like the basking bulbs.

Chris

Why use a household CFL?

Im using it as an alternate light source. I have a large heat lamp that i had sitting around and noticed my panthers enclosure was a bit dark. I jad a normal 60w Bulb in there but it burnt out. I had an extra Energy saving bulb sittin garound and really i guess i was just wondering if its ok for his eyes. Im guessing the old uvb coils were bad for the eyes due to the uvb?

Back
Top Bottom