Color question

sticky123

I have recently purchased a veiled chameleon, he is only 5 months old, i am concerned because his coloring is very light green almost pale. I am worried he might be sick although he is eating and getting enough water.

Generally, a pale colored cham is too warm, but if he's not gaping or avoiding his lights and is the same color from day to night maybe not. Ppossibly starting a shed or a bit dehydrated? Please describe your setup in DETAIL so we can help you more. We'd need to know your temps, humidity, type of lighting, plus your nutritional dusting and gutloading info.

I have a 65 watt bulb that creates a basking spot of 90 degrees, and under the foliage from 70- 75 degrees. The tank is mesh screened with a small drip system i created (i also heavily mist twice a day, due to the humidity level in the tank seeming very low at 50 - 60). As far as feeding i give him 10 - 15 crickets almost every other day, and cover them with flukers calcium powder. He is very active and has no problem eating and consuming water. This is the second time i have noticed him looking very pale and find it concerning.

well a sixty five watt light bulb should be fine, when he gets older your gonna want a bigger one, veileds are used to warmer climates. basking spots should be around 85. also when they are young they are basically all green, light green is normal but deffinately make sure hes not gasping. when he gets a few months older he should start to reveal more vibrant colors

The pet store i had bought my veiled chameleon from had said he was under 6 months, but he seems a bit larger than his expected age. i have noticed his color changing abilities have increased and his patterns more amazing. Im guessing they didn't exactly know. But overall, he seems to be doing much better now that i have reduced the temperature in the tank slightly. His colors are more vibrant again which is a good sign :)

Back
Top Bottom