Handling: Once every few days
Supplements: Regular supplements sprinkled on crickets
Watering: mist 3-4 times daily
Fecal Description: Haven't witnessed him go to the bathroom
History: no prior issues

Cage Info
Cage Type: Screened cage 16x16x20

Lighting: 26watt reptivision bulb as well as a 100 watt bulb
Temperature: Basking spot rarely rises about 80 ( can't seem to get it higher); middle of cage is 70-75 and night reaches 65
Humidity: maintained between 40-60%
Plants: Fake plants; veins; a branch; and a piece of wood.

My veiled I've only had for about a week, he's about 5 months old and I noticed he turns brown a lot during the day but is colorful and green at night when he's sleeping. He would eat 8-10 crickets a day while I was at work; but I noticed his eating has slowed down a good bit as well. I'm worried between the mixture of brown color during the day and slowing down on eating that something is wrong. Could he just be basking and about to shed? Should I add a live plant? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

securedownload.jpg

securedownload1.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

As I'm not very experienced, ill leave it to the others to answer your main questions... However, it is always recommended to have live plants :) that much I know (as long as they're safe)

Yeah, I am getting him a fichus plant but I put that fake plant in there that looks like it has flowers on top because he clings to it and it fills the cage until I can get his plants.

the colors are dark becuase the temps are too low.

If your basking spot truely is only 80Deg, then its not warm enough.

since you are using a high wattage bulb, i would suggest adding a space heater in the room to help raise temps,

how far under the bulb ar you measuring tmeps?

I am not too experienced yet, but they turn darker if it is too cold. Is there a branch closer to the basking lamp? May be he is cold!

I'm having problems keeping his new cage warm. I have a 100 watt bulb and just got a UVB bulb and the cage now only will go up to 75. How do y'all keep your cage temps up?

For basking it is very low. It is not hot in my whole terrarium,but the basking spot. You should put vines or branches closer to the heat lamp. You'll see the 100 W will be too hot then. :)
And just like camimom asks, it is important where do you measure the temp!

Try to put it on the branch for about 5-10 min,on the closest spot to the basking lamp where he can get to. But I think it must be too cold for him...

Well,just check the temp there and you'll see. I have an infra red lamp just in case it is colder,but the temps in my cham's cage aren't the everywhere either. But at this cage size I don't think so. I have exo terra 75 Watt sun glo and my cham loves to be underneath.(But it is pretty cold here)

Back
Top Bottom