Concerned about this substance

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
Has anyone ever found something like this in there cage. I woke this morning with this stuff in NEON’s cage.
3EB3C98E-DEDC-4119-A1D7-4929CC3B6574.jpeg

I actually got them at Michaels. Can you recommend something else?
Yep... They are their long willow branches right? Same thing that I had when the weevil came out of mine.

I pulled them all. Honestly I was more afraid of weevils laying eggs in other wood items in my house. Plus it just grossed me out. lol I ended up going with all foraged branches. My neighbor trimmed back huge portions of a large tree. I was not sure what type of tree but it did not produce sap and I knew it was not cedar, pine, or eucalyptus. I scrubbed them outside with dawn and hot water then rinsed the heck out of them. Then put them all out on a table to bake in the sun.

Another way to get branches is calling a local tree trimming company. And a lot of the time they can tell you what type of tree it is.

Or you could just go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy some wooden dowels. They have different diameter sizes. Wood stain them if you don’t like the natural wood color.
I even sanded mine down with coarse sand paper to give them some texture.

I personally like dead rubber tree branches. They are curved in a variety of thicknesses. After cleaning I put wood putty in each end to close up the holes as I had feeders hide there before.

Dang it… I live in Southern California. Not many branches in my area. It’s more like the dessert… can I use dowels and rough them up so they aren’t even? What other wood is a good option that won’t mold quickly?
Wooden dowels will mold. Bamboo is way too slick. Someone there must have trees with branches, so you could try checking with any tree trimming businesses in your area. A few months ago I got a massive haul from the tree guys doing my neighbors trees. I told them I needed lots of branches for my chameleons and they were so cool and nice about it.

Dang it… I live in Southern California. Not many branches in my area. It’s more like the dessert… can I use dowels and rough them up so they aren’t even? What other wood is a good option that won’t mold quickly?
Do you live in an area that has manzanita? This can be a great option. I don't like dowels they grow stuff besides the same diameter issues for grip surface.

Do you live in an area that has manzanita? This can be a great option. I don't like dowels they grow stuff besides the same diameter issues for grip surface.
Nope. My husband keeps saying he will bring some home from a Nor Cal Fishing trip. I just ordered manzanita branches from Etsy. 24” and 36” 10 total for $50 🤦‍♀️

Wooden dowels will mold. Bamboo is way too slick. Someone there must have trees with branches, so you could try checking with any tree trimming businesses in your area. A few months ago I got a massive haul from the tree guys doing my neighbors trees. I told them I needed lots of branches for my chameleons and they were so cool and nice about it.
We have a ton of palm trees, I have Grevalliaas but I know these have sap that is an irritant. I rather use branches that I know what they are… I just ordered Manzanita off Etsy this morning. 8 24” and 2 36” for $50.00 lol

Back
Top Bottom