Correct Enclosure and Humidity?

Crossblade

Hello. I am a new user and a new chameleon owner. You see, I bought a graceful chameleon, which I beleive is male (but very young).

I have gotten him a mesh cage with a couple of large climbing sticks (company bought, meant for climbing) an artificial vine, a waterfall, and a live plant. But considering the cage is full mesh, I am having trouble keeping humidity up. I believe the temperature is all right, seeing as I keep my house around 70-75 degrees F, night and day. I have a heating lamp in the top right corner of his cage, and turn it off at night. He seems to sleep well.

But I am wondering if I should buy some artifical ivy, so he can climb on it and drink water, seeing as I mist regularly every day. but the humidity itself is low, and I don't know how to keep it up, and I think it is affecting his appetite. We got him yesterday, and he hasn't eaten a single cricket. He is very thin, and that is why I am so worried... We handled him only a little bit, and very gently. Am I just a worrywart and he is just getting used to the enviornment? Or do I need to improve something?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Welcome to CF and world of chameleon addiction!!
He's probably just getting use to his environment. A lot won't eat as soon as they get home.
But there are some things that should be changed. No waterfall. They harbor bacteria and your chameleon won't drink from it. And you'll need a UVB bulb as well so your new friend doesn't get MBD.

Oh! but on the box it said that it keeps humidity level up and is ideal for chameleons. Do you think it would be alright if I change the water every few days?

What relative humidity level are you at now? Basking and lower in the enclosure?

You would need to do more than change the water every few days. A biofilm can develop on surfaces in the waterfall & resevior for the water fall. Bacteria can grow in the biofilm then migrate into the water; so even if the water is replaced it can quickly become a problem if the biofilm is not controled. All portions of the waterfall system would need to be cleaned; probably about once a week depending on the type of water your are using.

I do not know the humidity, but I know it is low, and I am working to raise it.

I beleive I can manage cleaning all the components every week, not a problem. I use natural well water, not chemically treated.

I believe there are other ways to get your humidity up though. I highly recommend NOT having the waterfall. Even cleaning it every week could be to much of a risk for him. JMHO. Try covering two sides with a WELL aired out shower curtain, or add a humidifier in your room. Just don't keep the waterfall in there. It spells bad news.

Okay, I got rid of the water fall and as soon as I did, he ate for the first time!
Maybe it was the waterfall that curved his appetite... :p

Good choice and really glad you came to these forums. I've learned quite a bit here over the past couple years and my cham is happy because of it.

Would also consider getting a digital humidity monitor. Not all that expensive (can find them for 15 dollars or less at most hardware stores). You'll never really know what the humidity is in the enclosure until you measure it - any thing else you do to try and increase it would just be a guessing game.

For microbial growth well water might be worse - it does not contain the residual chemicals which is good; but those residual chemicals are what would slow the growth of microogansims.

Well, I'll certainly look into a humidity monitor, but does that mean it is bad to mist down his cage with well water? should I just buy a bunch of bottled water?

I don't see any problems misting the cage with well water (others might point out trace levels of chemicals but in my opinion that's nothing to worry about).

The problem with the waterfall is it never dries out and funky stuff can grow.

Yup! that is why it's done and gone...there were so many little critters in it, and after one day! you were right about it being bad news. It was repulsive.

Back
Top Bottom