creating my first false bottom- help!

mjsimet

Hi, I have an 18x18x24 exoterra that I'm looking to make a false bottom so I can plant live plants. I've ordered 10 quarts of Josh's Frog's ABG mix already. What else do I need/ should I do? Or if there is a link to a page here that shows me how that would be appreciated. Pics too! thanks.

Do you have a hydroponics store near you? I used hygroton expanded clay balls and put landscape fabric over them, and then organic soil on top of that. Before I put my soil down, I tested the fabric by pouring a small amount of water on it, to make sure it didn't stop the water from draining. I had read on a frog forum of certain landscape fabrics not letting the water drain fast enough.

Do you have a hydroponics store near you? I used hygroton expanded clay balls and put landscape fabric over them, and then organic soil on top of that. Before I put my soil down, I tested the fabric by pouring a small amount of water on it, to make sure it didn't stop the water from draining. I had read on a frog forum of certain landscape fabrics not letting the water drain fast enough.
I have a 2 pound bag of expanded clay balls made by zoomed. So I put a layer on the bottom and landscape cloth over it? then the soil? Can I use potting soil or does it have to ABG type soil? I am planning on growing some very basic plants in here, nothing fancy. Appreciate the help.

Yes, the hydroballs, then landscape fabric, then your soil. I just used organic potting soil without perlite or fertilizer. ABG mix is probably better, but the potting soil is working fine for me, so far. I don't have pygmies in my enclosure, yet. But I treat it as though there is. Misting 2x's a day, and lights on a timer. So far, I haven't had any issues with drainage or problems with the plants. I also put isopods and springtails in, so they would have a chance to get established. They're good clean up crews for mold, decaying plant matter and I think they even help with poop patrol. ;) I have them in my anole's planted tank, too.

Awesome thank you! Soon as I get landscape fabric I'll be redoing the cage then. thank you! Where'd you get springtails and isopods?

I bought the springtails on ebay, and the isopods from Roachcrossing.com . There are a quite a few places you can buy springtails and isopods, usually places that sell vivarium supplies. Like Josh'sFrogs, NEHerp, and places where they sell little feeders for frogs. Don't forget to put some leaf litter on top of your dirt, sheet moss is nice, too. I'd try to buy it all at on place so you don't get hit too hard with shipping.

Back
Top Bottom