Cricket

moz

Hello

Just wondering, Veiled cham being fed on meal/wax worms with crickets every other day- she won't eat hoppers - Is there anything i can replace crickets with as a staple food or would meal/wax be okay on there own because i hate crickets!!:confused:

thanks

I use dubia roaches they are easy to maintain no smell and breed quick. My 6 month old panther loves them.

Wax worms are not to be used as a staple diet... they are little lumps of fat and should only really be used as a treat.
Some people don't agree with mealworms as a staple because they could cause impaction in your chameleon. I give my cham some meal worms every second day of feeding because he loves them.
With other feeders, it really depends where you live... If you live in the US then you are able to get silk worms, phoenix worms and butter worms which are good but if you are in the UK like me, those are a little more difficult to get!

Maybe try some dubia roaches too, alot of people like to use those on here.

Yeah i know waxworms are just for treats. Mealies and crickets for staple at the minute - I'm in the UK though yeah, the only other worms i can get are superworms not seen much else.

I also vote dubias if you can get them. I have 2 critter keepers that are the same size. One has 100 crickets in it while the other has at least 600 dubias. Now some of the dubias are teeny tiny, but there are a ton in there. The cricket cage is disgusting after like 3 days with a bunch of dead ones that I need to clean out. The dubia cage smells like nothing and I only found one dead one that may or may not have been chewed/spit out and I tossed it back in because no wanted to eat it lol (they were full).

I would choose supers over mealies. Roaches are good and so are stick insects. Silkies too. I like my dubia roaches way better than any other of the feeders. You hardly have to clean, they reproduce like crazy, they gutload easily, they don't smell, They are hardy (not in the invade your home sense... Just a lot less sensitive to germs and what not) and they don't eat eachother.

I would choose supers over mealies. Roaches are good and so are stick insects. Silkies too. I like my dubia roaches way better than any other of the feeders. You hardly have to clean, they reproduce like crazy, they gutload easily, they don't smell, They are hardy (not in the invade your home sense... Just a lot less sensitive to germs and what not) and they don't eat eachother.

I agree with with the whole "smell thing" but i prefer to feed my cham silkies cause you can leave 2-3 on a stem and let your cham eat when he/she wants to. I also give my cham some flightless fruit flies just for some hunter stimulation. But i would like to give my girl some stick insects i just don't know where to buy them. Anyone know where to get em:confused:

I agree with with the whole "smell thing" but i prefer to feed my cham silkies cause you can leave 2-3 on a stem and let your cham eat when he/she wants to. I also give my cham some flightless fruit flies just for some hunter stimulation. But i would like to give my girl some stick insects i just don't know where to buy them. Anyone know where to get em:confused:

From what I understand you have to buy the ooth with the eggs and hatch them out. Otherwise, you will be paying $20 to $40 for one adult mantis.

They're illegal unless they're native to your area in the US.

The local pet store where i buy my feeders from has 4 of em but they are not for sale. I guess they just have them on display, actually i have never asked them about the stick insects. I have to buy some feeders today so i might just ask about them.

They're illegal unless they're native to your area in the US.

Not 100% true, you can buy ooths from a plant nursery and hatch and release in your garden. They eat those pesky little bugs. Locust are illegal in the US.

You can buy a species that is native to your area. I was told to take down my thread about it in the past because I found a sourcefor Indian stick bugs which are illegal. Never ended up getting them though. If you relase a species not native to your area they can end up reproducing and causing damage. I believe that happened in socal. Don't quote me on that though.

Not 100% true, you can buy ooths from a plant nursery and hatch and release in your garden. They eat those pesky little bugs. Locust are illegal in the US.

You're confusing stick bugs and mantis, I believe. 2 completely different insects.

Back
Top Bottom