Crickets Hiding

waynederby

Hi everyone...

I was told to put around 10-15 crickets in my yemen's cage every other day or so..... that is what i am doing. I have seen her eat quite a few but there are also quite a few hiding in the 'branches' and hiding under the newspaper....

Im guessing she will get them eventually when they come out but can anyone recommend another way? She is too young too eat out my hand yet.....

The picture below is slightly outdated.... THE SUBSTRATE IS NOW REPLACED BY NEWSPAPER AND I HAVE A DRIPPER.
This is my setup:
imag0163jw.jpg

Hi everyone...

I was told to put around 10-15 crickets in my yemen's cage every other day or so..... that is what i am doing. I have seen her eat quite a few but there are also quite a few hiding in the 'branches' and hiding under the newspaper....

Im guessing she will get them eventually when they come out but can anyone recommend another way? She is too young too eat out my hand yet.....

The picture below is slightly outdated.... THE SUBSTRATE IS NOW REPLACED BY NEWSPAPER AND I HAVE A DRIPPER.
This is my setup:
imag0163jw.jpg

I prefer to confine my feeders, especially crix who tend to hide during daylight. They lose their gutload while roaming the cage for more than a few hours, there's a chance a hungry one will chew on your cham while it sleeps, and a hungry crix may eat fecal matter and other unsavory bits it finds in the cage. Many people put their feeders in a plastic cup hanging on the cage wall somewhere, but I like to use a larger plastic storage box wedged in the foliage where the cham can watch them. The feeders move around more and give the cham a little more chance to hunt more naturally, but they can't escape into the cage either. You can also get a better idea how much your cham is actually eating. I put a pinch of gutload in the box with them and remove all uneaten feeders at night.

Understood.

I don't want to stress her out and take her out the cage and remove all the crickets etc... so is it okay if i leave them in there???

Understood.

I don't want to stress her out and take her out the cage and remove all the crickets etc... so is it okay if i leave them in there???

Removing them at the end of the day when she's asleep or cooling down probably won't stress her too much. And, she'll probably add this to the list of normal daily events to expect.

Now if your box had fresh gutload, didn't get wet and moldy from misting, you could leave the uneaten crix in it for a day or so in a pinch. I just like to rotate my uneaten feeders so they can re-gutload themselves on the fresh foods in their bin on a regular basis.

Removing them at the end of the day when she's asleep or cooling down probably won't stress her too much. And, she'll probably add this to the list of normal daily events to expect.

Now if your box had fresh gutload, didn't get wet and moldy from misting, you could leave the uneaten crix in it for a day or so in a pinch. I just like to rotate my uneaten feeders so they can re-gutload themselves on the fresh foods in their bin on a regular basis.

Just looking back at my set up, do you think there are too many branches?

I prefer to confine my feeders, especially crix who tend to hide during daylight. They lose their gutload while roaming the cage for more than a few hours, there's a chance a hungry one will chew on your cham while it sleeps, and a hungry crix may eat fecal matter and other unsavory bits it finds in the cage. Many people put their feeders in a plastic cup hanging on the cage wall somewhere, but I like to use a larger plastic storage box wedged in the foliage where the cham can watch them. The feeders move around more and give the cham a little more chance to hunt more naturally, but they can't escape into the cage either. You can also get a better idea how much your cham is actually eating. I put a pinch of gutload in the box with them and remove all uneaten feeders at night.

I like this idea carlton how big are these containers?I never liked cup feeding bcuz I want them to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom