Crickets

karenh

hi can any one give me advice on a bit of a problem that i have, some while ago i purchased some exo terra rock background to make my viv a bit more pleasing to the eye for ollie my 1 year old yemen, everything seemed fine but just lately the crickets have taken to eating this background at a amazing rate also the are breeding and getting out around the house, before anyone says "no cannot happen" over a month ago i purchased some "black" crickets a mistake i know now, ollie was quite happy in eating all of them or so i thought, last night i had to kill two of the buggers that were running up my living room wall.

What are you feeding you crickets? IMO, it seems to me if the crickets are properly gutloaded and are placed into the cage in moderation (only enough for him to eat in one sitting), that they should stop reproducing/eating your background. However if you like to offer plenty of food where they don't get out, you could try constructing something of the sort:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/jan2003/hints/hints.html

Sometimes without knowing it they hitch rides on your shirt and end up in other rooms. They really cant breed without a place to lay eggs...like dirt.

well in the bottom of the viv i use forest bedding so i suppose they could be laying eggs in this, im thinking of taking the background out. but its still a bit of a puzzle how they are getting out i have checked and double checked all the vents and the cooling fan has mesh over it. i am in the process of constructing a bigger viv (4"x4"x5.5") width x depth x height the unit is in a hexagonal shape so i want to make sure i solve any problems now before move ollie in to his new home. i am going to upload photos as i construct the viv. first lot was uploaded today of the start of the center support which will become a tree.

Back
Top Bottom