Cross panthers

I have the opportunity to buy a nosy be x ambanja panther chameleon. But i was wondering if there are any healt disadvantages to owning a cross?

No, there is no health disadvantages of having a "cross " panther.
If you ask the next question of weather it will be good to breed that cham, that will open a big, big can of worms.

If you ask the next question of weather it will be good to breed that cham, that will open a big, big can of worms.
It will be my first cham so there will be no breeding.Jst the answer i wanted so it looks like i'm starting my chameleon project soon.
Wish me luck.

Agreed - no health disadvantages. My current avatar is a Nosy Be x ambilobe cross.
Nosy Be crosses are popular (for a hybrid) - I look forward to seeing pictures :)

Agreed. If you are going to post about breeding a cross, just use the search function (located here) unless you want those worms to be vicious, flesh-eating worms. :eek:

What's going to happen to the females that look like every other female? Are you going to cull them?
Are you going to sell the males with a contract so they don't breed them to another breed and sell them off as something else?

There's a lot of moral issues here.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure.

Is there a registry of chameleon lineage anywhere?

How does any newby know what they are buying?

Sure, there's value, but are you prepared to cull any females? Are you prepared to possibly have to keep some of the chameleons for months at a time before you buy a seller? People who want/sell crosses generally aren't too public about it.

I was trying to avoid it. *sigh* Some people just don't know how to read something as DO NOT ASK THIS QUESTION.

Sorry my fault. :eek:

OK.

Why cull females?

Is the desired coloration not continued through the mother?

yes, in fact, how else would there ever be a cross to begin with.

when buying a female it is best to at least see a photo of the sire so you know what genes (or coloration) she is carrying.

personaly, I look at all the cons of crosses as silly.
if the cham in question looks HOT...who cares just what it's background is?

Harry

yes, in fact, how else would there ever be a cross to begin with.

when buying a female it is best to at least see a photo of the sire so you know what genes (or coloration) she is carrying.

personaly, I look at all the cons of crosses as silly.
if the cham in question looks HOT...who cares just what it's background is?

Harry

As do I, you get crosses in the wild so I don't see the issue with doing it yourself so long as you let folks know, if you plan on selling them.

In my opinion, you shouldn't cross breed. We need to keep the beauties as they are. Otherwise, say in the next 5-10 yrs, noboby is going to know what they are. I say let's keep the species alive and pure. I'm not sure if they cross breed in the wild, but we as Chameleon lovers, need to keep them pure.

Back
Top Bottom