Cup feeding n00b

RoskaL

I want to start cup feeding my cham, are there any good guides on how to make one and use out effectively as she has never used one before

Cut out the front of a milk jug, hot glue some screen onto it, and put the crix in. They will climb up the screen so its not like the cham has to go into the cup to feed.

I prefer tubs. A nice big tub that let's the chameleon hunt, but keeps the crickets contained.

Cut out the front of a milk jug, hot glue some screen onto it, and put the crix in. They will climb up the screen so its not like the cham has to go into the cup to feed.

I use this method.

IMG_0694.jpg

I want to start cup feeding my cham, are there any good guides on how to make one and use out effectively as she has never used one before

Why do you want to start cup feeding? Personally I think its best for the animal to have to hunt and look for its food. With a feeding cup it will know where its food is at all times so it will just sit and wait for it rather than hunt when it is hungry. Making it lazy. I can see cup feeding roaches because they hide under pots very quick or other bugs that cannot cling to the screen or branches.

Not to mention one of the best parts of keeping chams is watching them chase down food and seeing those long tongue shots!!!

cup feed

Ive cup feed my cham since I moved him into his adult cage. As it is an open air cage it isnt practical to have crickets escaping, I rotate a mix of bugs. Superworms are the main diet, followed by meal worms, wax, de-legged crickets, then for a wildcard I get silkworms and hornworms, the silks and horns I let go in his cage becaus they dont jump off the branches of his trees and and I only give a couple at a time and I watch. He really like the hornworms. 1 hornworm holds him over for about 3-5days depending on his shed cycle. To me the advantage of cup feeding is that there are no morphing insects running loose and the cage stays very sanitary as there are no insects dieing in tight spots or in the root systems of the foliage. And since he is trained to eat from the cup when I put the cup in he knows its chow time and I can see him put on the show right on the spot usually.

the cup I use is a small tupperware, about 4inches across by 2 inches deep and I have it mounted about 3/4 high in his cage.

Why do you want to start cup feeding? Personally I think its best for the animal to have to hunt and look for its food. With a feeding cup it will know where its food is at all times so it will just sit and wait for it rather than hunt when it is hungry. Making it lazy. I can see cup feeding roaches because they hide under pots very quick or other bugs that cannot cling to the screen or branches.

Not to mention one of the best parts of keeping chams is watching them chase down food and seeing those long tongue shots!!!

yeh i love watching her hunt she dives from he top to the bottom swinging off her tail to strike at them , but she only has a few then after a little while the all seem to climb onto her and nibble, i dont fancy her being the food so would rather a better solution
i know someone will probaly say take them out after shes done eating but she has one or 2 criks then randomly has one as and when she pleases so i wouldnt want to take te food supply away from her but as i say, i dont want her being the food

Back
Top Bottom