cup feeding?

It is actually quite easy. There are many different methods that can be used. The method I use is to get a "Sunny D" bottle. I cut out the bottom and replace it with screen mesh (this ensured that no bugs drown when water from the mister gets in the cup). I then remove a large portion of the upper part of the bottle, leaving just a "back wall". Finally I place 2 strong magnets on the back and put a mesh screen strip going from the bottom of the bottle up to about an inch from the top of the back wall. The magnets let me attach it to the cage without causing any damage and can easily be removed and cleaned. I can post some pictures of mine later today if you would like.

In the meantime here is a rudimentary drawing of what I am describing. this design will keep most of the bugs contained while allowing them to climb and for your cham to easily see them.

Attachments

• feeder cup.jpg
    feeder cup.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 181
I teach my chameleons to cup feed by placing my staple feeders, dubia roaches, in the cup along with smaller fast moving food items like hydei fruit flies and bean beetles. The movement of the smaller feeders attracts the chams. After a few weeks of associating the cup with food the chameleons will almost always go to the cup when hungry and take whatever insect you have placed inside.

I make these kind of feed cups to make sure the insects don't drown. If you have a solid sided enclosure, suction cups work well to place the cups near the chameleons usual highways.

Here are a few pictures of mine. I used to use one similar to the one frank has, but my male (who has cup fed since 3 months old) decided he wouldn't use that cup any more. Now I use the sunny d bottle and this works well for me.

That is a really great idea! I think I will try it myself.

Here are a few pictures of mine. I used to use one similar to the one frank has, but my male (who has cup fed since 3 months old) decided he wouldn't use that cup any more. Now I use the sunny d bottle and this works well for me.

These are great I was just looking over the threads for ideas on this topic. My question to you guys that cup feed is: Do the roaches stay stay in the cup? I feed them as a staple but don't want them to escape and end up running loose in my house.

These are great I was just looking over the threads for ideas on this topic. My question to you guys that cup feed is: Do the roaches stay stay in the cup? I feed them as a staple but don't want them to escape and end up running loose in my house.

Three ways that roach will get out.

1. It dies and gets picked out
2. Cham is not hungry and owner takes them out (lucky today but your time is coming)
3. Through the cham's bowels. NOMNOMNOM

Three ways that roach will get out.

1. It dies and gets picked out
2. Cham is not hungry and owner takes them out (lucky today but your time is coming)
3. Through the cham's bowels. NOMNOMNOM

LOL, I like your answer better than mine. Funny.

Correct they can't climb smooth surfaces. But they can climb the mesh. For my other guys I have a tupperware container that I hand feed them from. They don't get to hunt for food. I see that is important with chams.

I do have your design bookmarked eat2muchrice, I think I can get this one to blend into the cage the best. I'm thinking I will do velcro as I have wood sides. These are all great.

Back
Top Bottom