cup feeding?

faithxw

What is it, how can I do it? Etc! Wouldn't crickets just hop out if I put themin a cup? Or am I not getting this whole idea?

There are some videos on youtube on how to make you own feeder cup. The cup was simple to make and easy to use but it scared my chameleon. So I just I never used it. (Search how to make a cricket feeder cup.

Definitely check youtube, I made my feeder cup out of a Sunny D jug following one the videos I found.
It is just putting your feeders into some kind of container (a drink jug, a small tuber-ware, a round dish) that you put into the cage so your chameleons can go to it and eat rather then all your feeders just roaming free in the cage. This prevents them from escaping into the house and biting your chameleon during the night, it can also help you be able to monitor how much your cham is eating.
If you use a small plastic dish (I dont have pics of one to show what I mean) then just get one that has tall enough sides that the feeders can't jump over. With the self-made jug feeder cups the lips you create will prevent them from jumping out. There will always be a few that manage to get free but far easier to manage than free roaming. Plus your cham will usually grab any "escapees".

What is it, how can I do it? Etc! Wouldn't crickets just hop out if I put themin a cup? Or am I not getting this whole idea?

I just use regular plastic cups that is smooth on the inside. It's just easier for me to keep clean since I can have more than one on hand. Even my large crickets can't jump out of it.

Ya and once they are dusted up a bit they seem to not to jump as much,,,they just try to climb the walls of the bowl!!!! As long as theyre moving,,,chams will be enticed!!!!
Mine seems scared when i put it in also,,,,,but with the experience of my last cham(RIP Jimmie),,,,I dont want to miss any crickets left over in there over night with my guy!!!!!
Once I wedge the bowl in between a couple branches,,,my cham just perks right up and makes a B-Line right to it,,,and then stands over it like hes the king!!!!

I haven't used one myself. But is there a risk of them hurting their tongue on the edges?

I wouldnt think so,,,,unless you are using something with a sharp edge!!!! In my avatar pic,,,,is the bowl Ive been using with my guy since day 1,,,

Ye well I mean, if you cut the milk bottle would't that leave some sharp edges? And even if you make them smooth there will be a pointy and and hard edge.

on the you tube vid,,,,the guy says to sand down the rough edges!!! I would round and edges that would be facing my cham!!!

I just sand down the edges with a file or sandpaper and round the corners. Then run a finger along to make sure everything is smooth.

I'm still confused as to what would work best? Basically I'm just putting crickets in a bowl that they can't get out of, therefore my chams still have something to eat, but I don't have to worry about crickets free runnin all in her cage??

I'm still confused as to what would work best? Basically I'm just putting crickets in a bowl that they can't get out of, therefore my chams still have something to eat, but I don't have to worry about crickets free runnin all in her cage??

Yes. It is just to ensure your chameleon is safe at night from being bit and so you can easily tell how much they are eating.

It really depends on what you like best and how much time you want to spend making/putting one into the cage. With a bowl you just need to hang it in the middle with some vines or something. For a cup (like in the youtube videos) you'll have to cut it, sand the edges, put in a back piece for the bugs to climb up, and such. Then hang it onto the side with velcro or tape or something.

Back
Top Bottom