Does anybody know what my Cham is doing

gwillis

My Cham has started doing this over the past two days the front of his eyes swell up and he gets a red film over the top of his eyes i am incredibly worried so if anybody has any idea or advice please tell me

Attachments

• IMG_5292.jpeg
    IMG_5292.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 2
Does it seem like he is 'rolling his eyes' when he does this? Not sure if that makes any sense..... He is beautiful btw

Does it seem like he is 'rolling his eyes' when he does this? Not sure if that makes any sense..... He is beautiful btw
I'm wondering the same. When chameleons clean their eyes, they puff the turret out in different directions and it's a little alarming the first time you see it. Does this come and go? His eyes aren't always swollen?

I'm wondering the same. When chameleons clean their eyes, they puff the turret out in different directions and it's a little alarming the first time you see it. Does this come and go? His eyes aren't always swollen?
Yes it comes and goes however I have never seen this behaviour and have had him quite a while so just nervous

Hi and welcome. :) Your big guy looks to have something trapped deep in his eye. It could also be related to his sinuses and the concern is always for infection. Only a vet can do a deep flush of the eye and investigate what is going on. Not all exotics vets are experienced with chameleons and often we have to travel a little for a good vet. @elizaann2 can you please provide the vet list? Ty in advance. Also, your fella looks to be a bit overweight from the puffing out of his casque. This happens very easily as not only is feeding them enjoyable (food is love) but they are opportunistic and will keep eating as long as there’s food.

Hi and welcome. :) Your big guy looks to have something trapped deep in his eye. It could also be related to his sinuses and the concern is always for infection. Only a vet can do a deep flush of the eye and investigate what is going on. Not all exotics vets are experienced with chameleons and often we have to travel a little for a good vet. @elizaann2 can you please provide the vet list? Ty in advance. Also, your fella looks to be a bit overweight from the puffing out of his casque. This happens very easily as not only is feeding them enjoyable (food is love) but they are opportunistic and will keep eating as long as there’s food.
I thought something may be lodged in his eye however he does it with both of his eyes at the same time. A while ago he was constantly opening his mouth could this show signs of sinus infection aswell

I thought something may be lodged in his eye however he does it with both of his eyes at the same time. A while ago he was constantly opening his mouth could this show signs of sinus infection aswell
Yes, something is definitely going on and it’s difficult to tell when it comes to that. It could be a keratin plug, random particles or shed stuck in the eyes or a sinus or other type infection. It may be related to your husbandry and we could definitely do a review if you like. That won’t fix the current problem, but will prevent future recurrence. If you’d like to do that, answer the following questions (copy & paste with your answers). I’m getting off line in a minute, but there should be several others who can probably go thru it all for you. If not, I’ll be back on later tonight. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hello! Attached you will find our vet list :)

Attachments

• Chameleon Forums Vet List 2024 U.S.A..pdf
    157 KB · Views: 2
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled chameleon he’s about 1 year old and has been with my since may
  • He is always very keen to come out so usually once a day sometimes twice
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I feed him a diet of superworms and occasionally locusts I gut load them with kale sweet potato and silkworm chow he usually eats either two or three locusts or 4-5 super worms he usually eats around 5 o’clock in the evening
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I use a light dusting of zoo meds repti calcium once a day and once a month vetarks nutroball
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • He has an automatic misting system that goes of every 2 hours for 16 seconds but I have just introduce a dripper
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • I have not yet tested for parasites but his poop and urates seem to be completely normal
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • His cage is glass with a screen top it is 3.5x4x3 and is a bio active enclosure
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • He has a heat bulb to the side of his cage and a strip of 4 uvb lights at the back I’m not sure about brand but they turn on at 7am and off at 7pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • He has three thermometers and one hydrometer his basking spot usually reaches around 32 degrees and the bottom around 17-18 degrees at night he drops to around 16 all around
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • His humidity usually sits around 60 during day and 80 during the nightime his mister goes of for sixteen seconds ever two hours
  • He has a very wide variety of live plants and one fake plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • His cage is in my room and I have a wide window that gets most daylight sun and both of my windows remain open aswell as a fan his cage sits jsut above my head height
  • I am in the south east of England

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 4
My feedback will be in bold and for simplicity, will split this into two parts. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Veiled chameleon he’s about 1 year old and has been with my since may
  • He is always very keen to come out so usually once a day sometimes twice That’s unusual for a veiled. You either have a rare ‘friendly’ one or he’s not thrilled with something in his enclosure.
  • I feed him a diet of superworms and occasionally locusts I gut load them with kale sweet potato and silkworm chow he usually eats either two or three locusts or 4-5 super worms he usually eats around 5 o’clock in the evening Ok, this explains why he’s chubby. Superworms are fatty and best used as occasional treats. Locusts are a good staple as well as several other type insects. I’ll attach a couple of graphics to help guide you. Also, that’s a lot of feeders and if given daily also is why he’s so fluffy. Is better to feed him 2-3 feeders every other day. This will help him reduce some of his fat and at a healthy rate. Once he has achieved decent weight loss, you can then feed him 3-4 feeders every other day or even 3 days a week, which is how I feed my own. Best for him to eat in the morning so he has all day to bask and digest his food.
  • I use a light dusting of zoo meds repti calcium once a day Is this with or without D3? and once a month vetarks nutroball I had to look this up and it does contain preformed vitamin A, which is the form that we know chameleons can utilize for eye health. However, you should be using it for 2 feedings per month or one feeding every other week.
  • He has an automatic misting system that goes of every 2 hours for 16 seconds but I have just introduce a dripper This is too often and not long enough. The enclosure needs time to dry out some and he needs more time for his drinking response to be triggered. It would be much better to mist for 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. If his urates are dark then you can add either a 1 minute misting or use a dripper for 15-20 minutes sometime during the day.
  • I have not yet tested for parasites but his poop and urates seem to be completely normal It’s always a good idea to have a fecal done.
IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Cage Info:
  • His cage is glass with a screen top it is 3.5x4x3 and is a bio active enclosure Unusual to find a glass enclosure so large…at least here across the pond.
  • He has a heat bulb to the side of his cage and a strip of 4 uvb lights at the back I’m not sure about brand but they turn on at 7am and off at 7pm I’m guessing you mean this light is your uvb. https://exo-terra.com/products/lighting/light-fixtures/compact-top-large/ If so, I’m afraid the screw in uvb bulbs aren’t able to provide the levels nor gradients that chameleons need. A much better choice is an Arcadia Pro T5 with a 6% uvb bulb. https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/forest/ The only other brand I recommend for uvb is ReptiSun with. 5.0 uvb bulb. The discount bargain brands are not sufficient.
  • He has three thermometers and one hydrometer his basking spot usually reaches around 32 degrees This is a touch too warm. It would be better to keep him at around 29. and the bottom around 17-18 degrees at night he drops to around 16 all around Perfect night temp drop!
  • His humidity usually sits around 60 during day This is too high and places him at risk for respiratory infection. Ideal range for daytime is a much drier 30-50%. Adjusting and reducing the frequency of your misting will bring humidity down nicely. and 80 during the nightime This is great for night with your chilly temps and simulates the natural hydration cycle they get in the wild thru fog. his mister goes of for sixteen seconds ever two hours
  • He has a very wide variety of live plants and one fake plant Excellent that you have a bioactive set up and live plants. It all looks nice. Do trade in the fake plant for a pothos or something though. Also, the little hammock is a risk for him to get his claws tangled and torn out. One of my beardie’s lost a claw to her hammock and my male veiled showed me just how easily they can lose claws to screen climbing. 😞 It’s hard to see thru your plants (which is how it should be) if you have enough branches and vines for him to travel. Males especially like to make routine patrols of their enclosures thru the day.
  • His cage is in my room and I have a wide window that gets most daylight sun and both of my windows remain open aswell as a fan his cage sits jsut above my head height Just make sure he isn’t getting any direct sunlight into his tank as it can greatly overheat him. Height is perfect.
  • I am in the south east of England
While for the most part your husbandry is quite good, the biggest problems that I see that could be contributing to eye and/or sinus problems is incorrect uvb and humidity being too high. Also, his obesity is a big risk factor for him to have issues, including eyes/sinuses. While no living creature can be obese without causing health problems, we humans have adapted pretty well while chameleons have not. Having extra fat in their bodies is a big strain for them. Including a video about how to determine your chameleon’s body size.
Unfortunately our vet list won’t be of much help in finding a good vet in the UK. I would suggest asking around for recommendations from pet store, friends, etc. Do keep in mind that many exotics vets may know the medical part for chameleons but are usually lacking when it comes to husbandry and will advise ridiculous things like putting him in a shower/bath or baking him at high temps of 37+. They also like to give vitamin injections which usually aren’t needed.
I hope I’ve been of some help to you and that you’ll keep us up to date on your big handsome guy. Do ask if you have any questions.

Thank you so much that was very helpful I’m hoping to switch his diet to silkworms and locusts with the occasional superworm but I live in an area where none of these are easily accessible. I have changed his mister to 2 minutes at 8am and 6pm hoping to go to a pet shop near me on Monday so will replace uvb.

Thank you so much that was very helpful I’m hoping to switch his diet to silkworms and locusts with the occasional superworm but I live in an area where none of these are easily accessible. I have changed his mister to 2 minutes at 8am and 6pm hoping to go to a pet shop near me on Monday so will replace uvb.
Over here, at least where I am, pretty much the only feeders available locally are crickets, superworms, mealworms, etc. For the ‘good’ feeders like silkworms, roaches and healthy hornworms that aren’t massive, we need to order on line. I don’t know what you have for on line vendors over there, but I imagine there should be some.

Over here, at least where I am, pretty much the only feeders available locally are crickets, superworms, mealworms, etc. For the ‘good’ feeders like silkworms, roaches and healthy hornworms that aren’t massive, we need to order on line. I don’t know what you have for on line vendors over there, but I imagine there should be some.
There is a few they just charge quite a price thank you so much for all your help I never would have known to change his uvb or humidity if it wasn’t for you.

He has come to the front of his cage this morning to come out like normal and I’ve more his joints looking quite swollen.

Back
Top Bottom