does she look pregnant

jackNjill

I wanted to know if she looks gravid.She is a jackson chameleon.Her weight goes up and down.When i put her near my male sometimes she bobs and sometimes she is ok.She goes couple days without eating sometimes.She has been with males.I dont know her age .She is 7 inches(head to tail) and 27.2 ounces.I had her 4 months before i had her she was housed with about 20 males and then i housed her with my male.How far along does she look

Attachments

• jill.JPG
    jill.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 167
  • jill4.JPG
    jill4.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 172
  • jill2.JPG
    jill2.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 173
  • jill1.JPG
    jill1.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 165
  • jill3.JPG
    jill3.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 153
She looks like it is potential. How long you had her? She'll go about 5-6 months being gravid, but I've read it can go as long as 9 months, but 5 or 6 is more the norm that I've seen.

gravid xanth/ scale misinterpretation

she is definitely gravid, and displaying the more common form of jacksons gravid coloration. knowing her actual weight would be tremendously helpful, and a good indicator of her progression. of course i dont know what she weighs, but i do know, that she does NOT weigh 27.2 oz ? that would be approx 771 grams or about a 1 lb & 3/4 (ime captive xanths over 200 g are rare, even if gravid ). you might possibly be mistaken for 27. 2g , but ime, healthy adult gravid specimens usually range from a min of about 40g-100g+, any adult gravid specimen that is less 40g, was probably bred too early, or poorly conditioned, either way, if her weight is 27.2 g, it is cause for concern. however that may not be the case, are you sure your scale was set to oz?(you may have possibly mistaken the reading , 2.72oz would make more sense(77 grams) but she doesnt look that large. most digital scales have several settings (oz,g,gr,dweight etc.) if you are relatively sure your scale was set to oz, then you probably forgot to tare the weight of the container she was in. most digital scales have a tare weight feature , so you are not including the weight of the container she was in, in your final weighing. i would suggest becoming more familiar with your scale and weighing her weekly, also keeping a simple notebook log will offer some insight as to her progress down the road. a heathy gravid mid term or later xanth , should gain a noticable amount on a weekly basis and not lose any weight on a weekly basis. once you get a handle on your scale operation, and your weighing technique, (it doesnt really matter what your readings are if they are not accurate) but, by mid term, she should be gaining a g or 2 every week. another possibility is that the range of your scale is not well suited to weighing an object that small, (like a digital bathroom scale) check the appropriate weight ranges (usually found on the back of the scale). an appropriate weight range for example, would be from 0-500 g or a little over one lb, thats enough to weigh any xanth, plus a 300 g container, without damaging your scale (theyre about $20) any consumer grade scale that is designed to weigh over 5lbs (like a digital bathroom scale), is not likely to give accurate readings in the range you are trying to weigh. please get an accurate reading and post again, that will give us a better idea of what we are dealing with. when gravid, i try to keep handling down to one weekly complete cage cleaning+weighing. (you can still do partial cleanings while she is in her cage but try not to handle or disturb more than necessary,(it would probably be a good idea to keep her and the male from seeing each other) any undue stress can cause problems with her pregnancy. congrats on the gravid thing, but you will need to have accurate weekly weighings, in order to have a better sense of how she is doing. jmo /edit; going off food for days at a time is to be expected with mid to late term gravid xanths. in fact it is common for them not to eat for up to two weeks during the final weeks of her term. also @7"head to tail she appears to be a fairly small specimen, but a more accurate indicator of her size (for those of us who dont know how long her tail is)and more commonly recognized measurement, would be svl (snout to vent length) that would give those of us who cannot actually see her, a better description of her size. jmo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom