Dog cage transformed critique me!!!

Courtney

100_1754.jpg

100_1755.jpg

its amazing what you can do with zip ties and old decarative sticks

Cage looks too small, nearly no plants and I can't imagine how you can keep a certain level of humidity.
And what also possible: If your cham sees a prey outside the cage and shoot it, the tongue could be hanged by the grides

Cage looks too small, nearly no plants and I can't imagine how you can keep a certain level of humidity.
And what also possible: If your cham sees a prey outside the cage and shoot it, the tongue could be hanged by the grides

have you ever heard of free range????? the cage is a lot larger than it apears and as far as the plants go i have more to get this is just the start. i live in fl its always humid where i live, on the beach. not to mention my house doesnt have bugs running around so no chance of that lol. also the cham thats going in here is an adult fem veiled and she doesnt like to venture. she has been free ranging on a plant she doesnt like cages she just sits in one spot.

i think its fantastic...but i would add a thinner screen on the sides for keeping in humidity...and also a few more plants wich im sure you will...and all the rest of the crap that goes in a cham cage ...hydrometer...thermometer...dripper...ect....also ever thought of putting it up vertical instead of horizontal?

I've done something similar to this before.. The idea seems interesting.. but..

Depending on the side of the head of the chameleon, you will need to cover all the holes that it can fit through.

You will be wanting to add something to cover at least 2 sides of that cage. No humidity will be kept in unless you have a swamp cooler or a very very humid room to begin with.

Where is the water runoff going?

How tall is it? What will it be housing?

I can't tell how tall it is, so going to ask.. Why are those branches so close to the top of the cage? Wouldn't it be possible that the heat lamp heats up the metal parts of the cage and burns your chameleon? Metal bars are SO much easier to climb on than screen.

Also, as far as free ranging goes, they are not enclosed by the metal... eisentrauti does have a point, perhaps you should think on it.

Way too many places for a head to get stuck. Actually, even my big male Veiled could get out of most dog cages I have seen easily.

Couple things,

1) Is this cage going to be used outside? If so like Julirs said I woud be afraid the cham would get out

2) Using it inside? Metal gets hot when the lights beem on it, I would be worried about burns.

Even though you may not have bugs in the house, anyhing shiny or bug like could catch the attention of the chameleon. My boys shot at random things like water drops and shiny objects (like watches, jewelry, etc.) he's also eaten a fly or two that's come into the house. I'd cover it with screen to be safe and lower those branches. The metal is also of concern, warm to us is hot to chameleons.

I think you could get it to work if you added screen around the sides. The gaps look pretty large.

I think its a great idea. I use bird cages, so a similar concept, and they work GREAT. Can free range crickets or roaches, that's the only downside.

Im only concerned with the dimensions. What is the LxWxH of it? Also what is the size of each of thos holes? With the size comparison of the zip ties, and sticks it looks like my cham could fit threw the side. I remember a story on here where someones veiled got its head stuck in between bars like these. Im all for improvising old things for new things, but if it will harm my chams or turtles (ex: cedar) then I do not use it. If the holes are less than an inch I think you might be ok, depending on the size of your cham. I would also look into turning it vertical. Just because she doesn't move now, doesn't mean that you should limit her possible movements. If it doesn't have wire on the bottom, and the black bottom is the bottom, you can put the black bottom against the wall. It will help from getting your walls moldy, and wet. I would also add a couple sticks going from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner. Diagonals are good.

i have completely reinforced the whole cage with screen from the inside. the whole purpose it to give a more private area for a free range gravid veiled. its 3 ft l and 2 feet tall 2 ft wide. she only hand feeds. go figure. im so glad i rescued her from a pet store. ill post pics by tomorrow. i didnt add more plants and am thinking of taking these out cause she is still going after the dirt she had had calci wo and w ds and herp vite rotated since ive had her. her color is alot better than when i got her.

and i thought horizontal branches dnt give the chams' limbs enough excercise to gain some muscle. Should'nt the branches/sticks be slanted or curvy most of the time??

Back
Top Bottom