Drainage systems??? IDEAS PLZ

Mlz825

I have an exo-terra 18x18x24 for my little panther cham but i dont know how to drain the excess water from my home made little dripper. So i have been sticking to misting but if i dont use the little dripper he wont get any water while im gone???

The bottom in my cage is removable which I have covered with a fish tank background and poked some holes in for help draining. I have a tray under my cage to catch water that I got from LLLReptile, with a drilled hole for a bulkhead and a attached tubing that I got when I ordered my mistking, that goes through a drilled hole in my stand into a bucket under the stand. I just empty the 5 gallon bucket once a week.

If you have a glass exo terra tank you have a few options.

1- place a plastic container (the ones meant to store shoes are a great size) inside the cage below where the dripper will drip. Make sure there are plants that catch the stream of water and direct it inside the container. If your chameleon is small place a branch or something inside the catch container to help him get out (if he accidentally falls in.) Empty the container daily.

2- use a diamond core drill bit and drill a hole in the bottom of the tank. Drill a hole in the stand. Place a tube through the holes and lead it into a bucket below.

3- upgrade to a screen enclosure because they are much easier to drain! :p

Thanks for the help. I think i might have to drill a hole in the bottom and put a tray under it. My cage is screen with a plastic bottom.

Well... you shouldnt have a glass enclosure anyway. If you do it is harder, I hues you can put a plastic cup with a piece of screen over it under the dripper. It is a lot easier with screen. What I do is I place my screen enclosure over a 55 gallon bin. I cut a hole in the bin so whatever water drips out of my cage drops out into the bin. I only empty it once a week and it is maybe 1/8 full.

Glass enclosures can be drilled as long as it isn't tempered glass. This is super easy to do if you have a cordless drill that has a clutch on it (when drilling glass you want the glass to be capable of stopping the bit).

Glass enclosures work just fine for chameleons if you have a very dry ambient environment and you monitor your humidity.

Back
Top Bottom