drinking from syringe?

batmancumming

i've been trying for a few days now to get my jacksons cham to drink water out of a syringe (without the needle on of course) but he is absolutely terrified of it for some reason. should i just give up on tht or do you think he will eventually come around?

i've been trying for a few days now to get my jacksons cham to drink water out of a syringe (without the needle on of course) but he is absolutely terrified of it for some reason. should i just give up on tht or do you think he will eventually come around?

It takes time, but I've found if I hand spray the cage foliage and get the cham "thinking" about drinking first (look for reflexive swallowing and lip licking) or wait until he's actively drinking, start moving the sprayer closer and dribble warm water over his head from above. Gradually move the spray nozzle closer so he is licking the droplets from the nozzle. Once he realizes a nozzle means as much water as he wants without having to roam around licking leaves he may take to it.

But, some chams simply don't want to change their ways. If he's more comfortable licking foliage that may be your best choice.

my cham battles the mister to the death. she hates it lol. she doesnt run she just doesnt like it near her. i dont blame her, it fires pretty powerfully, so even if i dont go full blast, (just a few drops) she puffs up and goes full attack mode

If you decide to use a dropper, as shown in the video, make sure it's a plastic dropper. There have been stories of chameleons grabbing the dropper and biting it...not good if it's glass.

I would suggest trying the syringe or dropper when the animal is on or very near the cage wall. Squeeze the water through, so that on his side, it's just water dripping. You and the syringe are outside.

I found that to be very successful.

when i first took my cham outside to get some sun, i set him on a small plant and brought my spray bottle with me to mist him and the plant. i then noticed he would drink from the leaves, and no matter how close i got with the nozzle he wouldn't back away and would just drink right after water hit the leaves.

so then i started doing that inside his enclosure, spraying a leaf in front of him so he sees water dropping and he'd rush to it and start drinking til he's satisfied. but when i tried to give him water straight from the nozzle today (i had a drop just at the end waiting for him to drink) he didn't seem as interested. which is fine since my hands aren't that steady to be so close to his face lol.

This may sound like a silly question, but why would you want your chameleon to drink from a syringe if he didnt want to? Isn't it stressful to try to convince him?

This may sound like a silly question, but why would you want your chameleon to drink from a syringe if he didnt want to? Isn't it stressful to try to convince him?

Sometimes people want to KNOW that the animal is drinking. Also, it's good to know that you can give your animal water this way if something happens that disrupts your normal watering (say, you get evacuated because of a fire, earthquake, storm).

Sometimes people want to KNOW that the animal is drinking. Also, it's good to know that you can give your animal water this way if something happens that disrupts your normal watering (say, you get evacuated because of a fire, earthquake, storm).

When I first got Maximus, I took him to the vet and he was perscribed dewormer with had to be administered with a little syringe. He tolerated it pretty well and after a little coaxing opened his mouth for the syringe. It seemed really tedious, I couldn't imagine multiple times a day.

Do you still use a drip system incase s/he gets thirsty in between syringing?

How much water is too much? Is it like people where too much water could be toxic?

Thanks...

Last edited:
the best way that i have found is this:

after your cham has eaten and you see it doing that licking thing with it's mouth, put a little drop on it's tongue, or if it's thirsty, hold a drop of water on the end, just squeeze the syringe slightly to hold a drop of water on the end, make sure your chameleon can see this, if it doesn't take it place the drop on the front of it's mouth. eventually it will drink it, if not keep trying.

syringes are not the best thing, the rubber seals tend to make control difficult if your using the same one over and over. best thing is a glass syringe or a pipette.

When your giving your chameleon water using a syringe or something similar, dont keep pileing the water into it's mouth, hold a drip on the end and let the chameleon take it, they will rear back after 1 or 2 drops to swallow, which is the signal to stop, i usually hold a drop on the end of the syringe and wait for mine to swallow, mine extends his tounge and i know he wants more.

When I first got Maximus, I took him to the vet and he was perscribed dewormer with had to be administered with a little syringe. He tolerated it pretty well and after a little coaxing opened his mouth for the syringe. It seemed really tedious, I couldn't imagine multiple times a day.

Do you still use a drip system incase s/he gets thirsty in between syringing?

How much water is too much? Is it like people where too much water could be toxic?

Thanks...

The only time I've done the syringe was when my chameleon had gotten dehydrated due to me being stupid.

I just know that some people really like that control.

I would have a drip system going regardless. It just seems wrong, to me, to not always have water available for any animal.

I doubt any chameleon would voluntarily over hydrate the way humans sometimes do.

i use an automatic mister, a drip system and a spray bottle, but i would like him to warm up a little more to me....associate me with good things. once a day i mist him down for about 10 min with warm water and he absolutely loooves it. he will open his mouth and drink away. im not set on him accepting water from the syringe, but i thought it would make things easier if i ever have an issue where he needs to accept food/water from a syringe

Back
Top Bottom