Emergency!

gwyneth

My cham got out of his cage somehow...when I got home, the bottom portion of his cage was open just a crack. I have no idea what happened (I live alone, so no one was here either), but I've torn my room apart looking for him.

Can anyone help me? I put his food bowl in the middle of the room just in case, and I've looked in warm places, dark places, climby places... I'm freaking out here!

Thanks ~ Gwyn

Try checking places you DONT think he would be. eg closets corners on the floor.

Move slowly and be gentle D: dont want to accidentally harm him

Good rule of thumb is to begin checking the area closest to the cage. Very carefully, step by step. I can't tell you how many times we checked the whole house only to find an animal just a few inches or a few feet from the cage.

Go in ever widening circles in your search, radiating out from the area of the cage.

We used to concentrate on looking up high. But then had a few instances where the chameleon settled near the floor for the night, so look low, too.

Odd places we've found chams:
top of livingroom curtain, under the valance. Top of shower curtain in the bathroom. In the clothes closet nestled BETWEEN hanging clothes. Under furniture. On a horizontal piece of wood on an antique music cabinet.

I know the feeling and the panic. Just don't give up. He's there. And don't totally panic or you won't think or see clearly. It won't hurt to take a break and relax over a cup of tea or a book for a while before continuing the search. And if you don't find him til tomorrow it really won't make a difference to your little guy.

Is there any way he could have gotten outside, or is he lost inside? If he is lost inside you will find him. I may take a few days but the little brat will walk out like he was never gone. Try looking for him at night with a flash light. Let us know when you find him.

Reactions: Hoj
Putting out a dish of worms couldn't hurt.

Leave the cage door open with the lights on. He may come back, looking for warmth. I would keep rechecking warm places like behind computer moniters, game systems, etc. He will get cold soon enough with it being wintertime.

Try not to go crazy searching. Definitely try to avoid creating even more places for him to hide by moving stuff and throwing things around while looking. Remember, he is probably doing the chameleon thing, sitting somewhere perfectly still, staring right at you.

Do you have any cats or dogs? If so, you definitely need to keep them contained, especially cats. If not, he should be perfectly fine, even if it takes you a few days to find him.

In the meantime, remember to be careful when going outside. You'll likely find him if he stays inside, but don't give him a chance to escape the house.

ye's definitely inside...his cage is up on a chest of drawers that's too slick for him to climb...and I forgot to mention that he's not full-grown, only about five months old. I put the cage on the ground with the door open and the heat lamp on..Hopefully he goes to that..I'll let you know when I find him!

Try looking on top of the curtains...... My cham climbed out of his tree in the living room when I fell asleep. I put him there sometimes to give him a break from his cage. When I woke he was gone!!! I looked franticlly EVERYWHERE!!!! I thought for sure my cat Tony got him..... I was literally sick!!! Later that nite when I went back to the couch.... I happened to look up there, at a fly or something.........And guess what?????? THERE HE WAS!!!! Looking at me like..... ARE YOU GONNA GET ME DOWN .. OR WHAT??? They will want to get as high up as possible.... GO LOOK! I was never so happy in my life!!! Dave

mine go low, then..when they know they made me totally bonkers, they show up in odd places, usually after a couple days they head up towards the curtains looking for warmth thru the windows.
it sucks for them to go missing, but more often than not, they turn up :D

Just based on what others have posted, check behind your TV/Entertainment center. Many people have reported finding their chameleons clinging to the cables.

thank you everyone for all your advice! I found Gummi :) I don't know where he started, but he ended up nestled and very cold on my stairs. How he's back under a heat lamp and I can rest well...whew!

Thanks again!!

Great job finding him that fast. Isn't it amazing how upset we get when one of them does something crazy? Now that he is found you can go get some sleep.

Back
Top Bottom