Enclosure questions

jonx4x4

I have read several care sheets, but have some questions.

So I got this 60"x20"x21" display case given to me.

There is no glass on top, and there is a crack in the front glass. I would like to turn it into an enclosure, but not sure if it would suitable for a chameleon. I want to remove the base, turn it around, remove the silver from the sliding mirrors on the back, making them clear glass(then in front), use a screen top, replace the cracked glass(then in back) with plywood, and add a 48" T8 UVB bulb.

IF NOT, I could fix it up and sell it to fund a more conventional enclosure. In a 48"x36"x24" enclosure, would it be better to have a 24" uvb bulb up top, or a 36" running vertical?

Also, would either enclosure be too big for a baby veiled? Start it off in a big enclosure, or keep it in a 10 or 20 gal until a certain size?

Thanks!

Ok, didn't think so. Would make an awesome beardie enclosure.

Either that or consider pygmy leaf chams. That case doesn't provide much if any vertical space that is more appropriate for chams, unless you stood the thing on one end. With out the vertical space it will be hard to provide a gradient of temp and humidity. The glass can cause stress for some individuals due to the reflections under certain lighting conditions.

I actually just had good success with using a 10gallon aquarium for a young veiled chameleon.

The problem with using aquariums in the way that meets the needs of chameleons, is the difficutly of the build and the fact that it is a bit of an eye sore.

Ideal conditions are at least 3 screened sides.
If you remove the top and the wall opposing the open top then you are required to add some sort of support to the top
i used a window screen sized to the frame of the tank then glued to the top

Some kind of brace is also needed on the bottom to keep the tank from swaying under the weight. Covering these support items in rubber to keep them from damaging the glass is crucial and very difficult.

Honestly cutting apart and disassembling a glass aquarium is not very safe and requires a lot of labor intensive work... Which is fortunate for you in the case that your frame is already installed and functional.
The reflections in the remaining glass stress a lot of chams, thinking that there is another cham in there territory.

You can spray the glass in some sort of non toxic matt finishing, (airbrushed mud) to prevent glare and reflections. Having a light outside of the tank that is much brighter than the light inside of the tank will also work...

The rest is all downhill from here.

If you are able to take the glass out and keep the frame intact, you might be able to use the metal frame as a box to cover in screen. Sealing the seams would prove to be difficult to make pretty.

If you find a way to make it work on a large scale like that I would be very interested to see the build and finished result.

Probably is best suited for a family of ground dwellers though, less slice and dice and more time and money spent enjoying your animal... Challenges are really exciting though :/

Back
Top Bottom