Enclosure tips wanted

I like what you did with the branches - I don't think I've seen a jungle gym setup like that before. You've got a lot of extra space you can fill out - your cham would love it :)

I think a nice live plant would make a great addition. Maybe a good sized pothos, or schefflera in the middle.

I like what you did with the branches - I don't think I've seen a jungle gym setup like that before. You've got a lot of extra space you can fill out - your cham would love it :)

I think a nice live plant would make a great addition. Maybe a good sized pothos, or schefflera in the middle.

I got the idea from the breeder. His enclosure for his babies had a dowel frame structure like that.

i really like it.a nice ficus would finish it off nicely tho :)
good job ;)x

I had a ficus in my last enclosure and I didn't really like it. Made it harder to clean if needed. Or I would have to remove all the extra supports/fake plants if I needed to move or remove it for some reason. With this setup I can just pull the whole thing out if I wanted to without disturbing and of it.

All i can say is a plant or two. I agree with no ficus, i feel they dont look very tropical. Thats why i like scheffleras and pothos, which your cham would love:)

i also agree about the red light.The white bulbs are better cause it is more natural to them.red is not..also red lights are mainly used for night time lighting for some reptiles but chams dont need that either.:)
everyone has there own preferences to what plants they like.it would look much better with one tho filling up the space in the middle x

i also agree about the red light.The white bulbs are better cause it is more natural to them.red is not..also red lights are mainly used for night time lighting for some reptiles but chams dont need that either.:)
everyone has there own preferences to what plants they like.it would look much better with one tho filling up the space in the middle x

I find this strange as your reason not to would apply to all reptiles yet infrared is commonly used as a heat lamp. Is there are reason why it is ok for other reptiles but isn't recommended for chameleons?

When infrared bulbs are used to heat they are used for both night and day not just night. The reason they are used is to supply heat, not to have lighting at night for reptiles.

Yeah there is a bit of a gap in the middle that I wanna fill in when I get some time to do so. Give him more to walk on and more leaves to catch water from the mister.

Red bulbs are mainly for night time heating and are not bright enough to suit a chameleon during the day. yes they give out heat,but they don't give out the nice 'sunshine' that chameleons associate with heat. there more like ceramic heat, usable but not ideal.

red bulbs are commonly used as a heat lamp.not all but most of the time they are used for night.dim light with warmth.red lights are more of a 'noctural' light
its down to personal preference and personally i dont see the need to use a dim red warm light for the day when i can offer a bright warm light thats more natural

Last edited:
iRed bulbs are mainly for night time heating and are not bright enough to suit a chameleon during the day. yes they give out heat,but they don't give out the nice 'sunshine' that chameleons associate with heat. there more like ceramic heat, usable but not ideal.

yes infared is commonly used as a heat lamp.not all but most of the time they are used for night.dim light with warmth.red lights are more of a 'noctural' light
its down to personal preference and personally i dont see the need to use a dim red warm light for the day when i can offer a bright warm light thats more natural

Sorry I am a little confused in the writings. Are you claiming 2 different bulbs? A red light or an infrared heat bulb? Or are you calling a heat bulb a red light?

Heat lamps aren't used as a light source they are used as a heat source.

I think I might understand what you are trying to say now. Do you mean a chameleon will have trouble knowing that the heat is coming from a heat lamps direction because they can't see bright light coming out of it? Is that what you were trying to say or did I miss interpret?

I am sorry if what I typed seemed as trying to argue that was not my intentions I am trying to clarify/discuss what is said. Nothing I wrote was meant as an argument. One person said don't use then, anther its ok and then another gave a reason that didn't make sense to me so I am trying to understand it. There is no reason to say my questions are a stupid argument. Please don't treat me like that just because I don't understand something.

I am sorry if what I typed seemed as trying to argue that was not my intentions I am trying to clarify/discuss what is said. Nothing I wrote was meant as an argument. One person said don't use then, anther its ok and then another gave a reason that didn't make sense to me so I am trying to understand it. There is no reason to say my questions are a stupid argument. Please don't treat me like that just because I don't understand something.

Oh sorry :( I see my post was removed.

Well, I honestly did not mean that your argument was stupid, just that arguing about it in general was stupid? Apparently that wasn't clear since my post is now gone.

I don't understand why it was "okay" to use them. Red is not a natural color for sunlight, and they would have a harder time recognizing it as the sun tbh

Back
Top Bottom