Enclosure Wood Sealer?

miketennille

Well I first wanted to say hi and thank you to everyone here. This is my first post but have been lurking around getting ideas and proper setup for my veiled chemeleon.

Now that I have gotten the hang of the everdy care I am thinking of moving my chemeleon into a new cage. I was thinking of building a custom cage as I have found nothing affordable I want.

I was searching looking for ideas before I begin the build and looking for a way to seal the wood when I build the cage. I came across this wood sealer sold at Home Depot. Claims to be VOC free, waterproof, uv resistant and claims to be pet safe. Can anyone tell me what they think of it. I don't want to use anything that would be harmful and if this is safe it seems like it would work great for just this type of set up.

Here is the link.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TriCoPol...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203322573-_-N

It is called Lumber Seal and made by Agra Life.

Thanks.
Mike

I've built all my own enclosures and some for friends... all made of wood.. I have found there really isn't any particular type of sealer needed as long as it has plenty of time to dry and cure before introducing any animals or moisture..
Looking at the product you have listed.. there are a couple of things that catch my attention that would be a possible problem... 1. if they are including a UV block chemical there is no way for it to dry completely clear (every one I've tried with the same claim "tinted" the wood in some way.. one tinted a green hue, others hued out almost an orange color... 2. this is the big one that caught my eye... "Film resists mold....." that tells me this is not a penetrant type of sealer, it simply lays down a film ON the wood...which in time can peel or crack or be cut through... these are just what caught my eye and would be concerns to me..
I personally use Minwax Polyurethane... you can get that in clear or stain versions, as well as different finishes... I've found you put at least 3 good coats on (after the wood has absorbed what its going to.. depending on the wood can be up to 3 coats before it stops sucking it in) and water beads right off and there is no chipping or peeling danger to create issue with any animals... my oldest enclosure is about 3 years old and looks just as good now as it did when I finished it...
I've designed and made several enclosures for all different types of animals, all different sizes and shapes with different types of access so if you need any assistance I'll be happy to help...

I'd agree. Water based products are probably safer (no outgassing petrochemical worries) as long as they cure completely before getting wet. Don't try to seal resinous woods like cedar...many water based products don't work as well on them, and the aromatic wood itself can have its own issue. Do not use pressure treated wood indoors. The waterproofing contains some heavy metals that do leach out. Don't use products that "inhibit mold growth" as the treatment that prevents mold is a toxin.

Back
Top Bottom