Exo-Terra for Jacks?

IAmCarl

I know you should keep Chams in screens but I know Jacks need higher humidity. I also know that people have success keeping Chams in these glass enclosures.

I think they make beautiful show tanks and I am curious as to what people here think.

By the way, I am talking about the 24x18x36 size Exo.

I think 24x24x48 is the minimum. Many people with the screen cages will put plastic on the back/sides and just leave the front and top open for airflow! The stale air that comes with the glass terrariums can give Chams respiratory issues. Hope this helps:)
And just because someone is doing something and their cham is still breathing, doesn't always mean their cham is happy and healthy. I like to make sure over half the people agree on the topic before listening just to one person because they give you the answer you want to hear. The exo Terra's are also awful for drainage! Lol

Point well taken. Both my Chams are in screens. This is more of a feeler topic. I'm always looking to learn and hear others opinions ;).

I recently heard a horror story of a guy who was told by a pet shop that he could keep his male/female veileds together. The male attacked her and ended up breaking her legs:( if I'm not sure I always ask someone on here! There's so many experienced people on here to help noobs like me out lol!! I read the treads on here daily just to keep learning:)

I have had success keeping multiple montane species, including jacksons, elliots and rudis, in exo terra cages. The trick is to not over mist and lots of airflow. The temporary rise in humidity is what you want, mainly in the morning to simulate morning dew. You have to make sure the cage dries inbetween mistings. It will take some adjusting to get right. it helps to have lots of live plants to hold water droplets, and a fine mist works best. You can also use a fogger for 10 mins or at the same time as the mister ...just don't over do it. Adds a nice effect though. Ideally you should have a small fan on a timer to kick on an hour or so after misting, to help with airflow and dry the cage. You can find small computer fans good for this, check amazon

NOTE: you may have to lower the wattage of your heat lamp since the glass will hold more of the heat in. Check the temps before adding you Cham

Hope this helps

Forgot to mention you can also hook a fogger to a "rain dome" (really just any upside down container with the fogger to connected) and water droplets will form on the screen and drip down over the area directly under the raindome

Back
Top Bottom