Feeder company recommendations

ChameleonClem

Established Member
Hello!
I am currently a customer of Joshs frogs for feeders and i am not happy. We do not have any local shops you can get feeders from so i rely on mail in services. However joshes frogs keeps sending my packages late and leaving the bugs in the mail for a week or more. Leaving me with no food and wondering if theyll be dead or not. Please tell me your favorite company and why, i also live in indiana so i will need them to be able to ship in cold weather.
-edit- ive tried a couple different worms and he seems to not be interested in anything but crickets and the occasional stray housefly. Admittedly ive never tried roaches.

Last edited:
Hello!
I am currently a customer of Joshs frogs for feeders and i am not happy. We do not have any local shops you can get feeders from so i rely on mail in services. However joshes frogs keeps sending my packages late and leaving the bugs in the mail for a week or more. Leaving me with no food and wondering if theyll be dead or not. Please tell me your favorite company and why, i also live in indiana so i will need them to be able to ship in cold weather.
Dubiaroaches.com is my go to feeder producer! They have amazing variety and quality, so I can rely on them to get the best bugs for my girl. Also the shipping time isn’t half bad, maybe a week at most (don’t fully remember as it’s been a few weeks once I ordered new bugs).
I would definitely say to check them out!
https://dubiaroaches.com/

Dubiaroaches.com is my go to feeder producer! They have amazing variety and quality, so I can rely on them to get the best bugs for my girl. Also the shipping time isn’t half bad, maybe a week at most (don’t fully remember as it’s been a few weeks once I ordered new bugs).
Ill definitely look into them if i decide upon roaches. Ive mainly only had crickets so far as he seems to be a bit picky. I got horn worms once and while he did eat a couple, he was not amused.

I use Dubia.com, rainbow meal worms and Josh’s frogs, and frams chams. If your temps are hard for feeders to survive the weather I would look into breeding your own bugs. I’ve been trying to breed my bugs myself to help with cost and many others here breed their own bugs. I’m sure between all of use we could help get you set up.

I also order from dubia.com. it’s a great website and ships very fast. My slowest order has only taken 5 days to arrive!

I use Dubia.com, rainbow meal worms and Josh’s frogs, and frams chams. If your temps are hard for feeders to survive the weather I would look into breeding your own bugs. I’ve been trying to breed my bugs myself to help with cost and many others here breed their own bugs. I’m sure between all of use we could help get you set up.
I dont feel like its the temperatures i feel like theyre just jacking around honestly. I received a shipment today with moldy potatoes inside, ive never had that happen before.

I know you said you are mostly doing crickets right now. A lot of chams can be picky and it takes a couple tries before they will eat something new. This was exactly how my guy was with BSFL.
Thanks for the encouragement, ive really been struggling with him lately. I had to move him a few weeks ago and force him onto my hand and hes been super aggressive lately. I lost all the trust i built. 😭 i feel so guilty

Thanks for the encouragement, ive really been struggling with him lately. I had to move him a few weeks ago and force him onto my hand and hes been super aggressive lately. I lost all the trust i built. 😭 i feel so guilty
We’ve all been there. I’ve lost my guys trust more than once while taking him to the vet. But it can be built back. Just be patient with him and yourself. ❤️

IMO you need at least one staple feeder than you raise yourself. Dubia roaches would be my first choice because you can get a huge range of sizes in one box and it's very easy to maintain a steady supply. then if a shipment is late you're not stressing, you have plenty of feeders until the package arrives.

IMO you need at least one staple feeder than you raise yourself. Dubia roaches would be my first choice because you can get a huge range of sizes in one box and it's very easy to maintain a steady supply. then if a shipment is late you're not stressing, you have plenty of feeders until the package arrives.
Agreed! If you have the time breed a few staple feeders. Its far less expensive :)

I haven’t been in the hobby for 2 years and some change, but I never had problems with Josh’s frogs, maybe things have changed 🤷🏻‍♂️. The temperatures in parts of the country have been crazy lately and as a former ‘bug shipper’ it can definitely impact shipments/harm the insects. I would probably not even be shipping in some of this weather, which may be why it’s late. Also, they wouldn’t just be leaving it in the mail. That would be post office delays(which I’ve also worked for).

I always like to recommend ghanns for crickets, at least from my experiences back when I was buying them. I know they’re a bit pricey, but out of all the places I’ve ordered from(many), their banded crickets arrived hands down the cleanest and healthiest. I would have the same batch for over a month and not see a single dead cricket in the bin. Some crickets I’d order would come in conditions like they had been living in the box/container for a while and would die off sooner or later.

I dont feel like its the temperatures i feel like theyre just jacking around honestly. I received a shipment today with moldy potatoes inside, ive never had that happen before.
I just got silk worms from them today. I shipped 2 day so that they alerte alive. This is what came. No way they poop that much in two days!! Most were also dead.

Attachments

• 74242033836__96EE6CFE-BCD8-4496-9692-F90C97CAA10C.jpeg
    74242033836__96EE6CFE-BCD8-4496-9692-F90C97CAA10C.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 7
Poor silkies. RIP 🥺
I’ve been using Josh’s Frogs for my crickets and other feeders for my leopard geckos this year and after just a few orders, I’m really disappointed. The bugs have arrived great, but it’s ordering them that is the problem. This last time I ordered was on July 3rd - $45 feeders & $47 for priority overnight shipping. They were supposed to arrive on Saturday, 6th and they did not. When I checked on Monday, 8th in the late afternoon, they still hadn’t even been shipped or even prepared for shipping as I was able to cancel the whole order with one click. Monday evening I ordered from Rainbow Mealworms and my order from them arrived safely by Wednesday noon. The previous order, I made certain that all 3 of the feeders I ordered were set to be delivered together with 2 day shipping. I checked and double checked because they have it where you can have each feeder get different shipping (which is odd). Anyhow, the order somehow was changed to be ground shipping. Expecting a box of dead bugs, I ordered from Rainbow Mealworms with no issue and it arrived safely and promptly.

Poor silkies. RIP 🥺
I’ve been using Josh’s Frogs for my crickets and other feeders for my leopard geckos this year and after just a few orders, I’m really disappointed. The bugs have arrived great, but it’s ordering them that is the problem. This last time I ordered was on July 3rd - $45 feeders & $47 for priority overnight shipping. They were supposed to arrive on Saturday, 6th and they did not. When I checked on Monday, 8th in the late afternoon, they still hadn’t even been shipped or even prepared for shipping as I was able to cancel the whole order with one click. Monday evening I ordered from Rainbow Mealworms and my order from them arrived safely by Wednesday noon. The previous order, I made certain that all 3 of the feeders I ordered were set to be delivered together with 2 day shipping. I checked and double checked because they have it where you can have each feeder get different shipping (which is odd). Anyhow, the order somehow was changed to be ground shipping. Expecting a box of dead bugs, I ordered from Rainbow Mealworms with no issue and it arrived safely and promptly.
That’s weird, if you’re paying for overnight I feel like that should be honored or at least notify that they can’t ship for whatever reason and refund.

That’s weird, if you’re paying for overnight I feel like that should be honored or at least notify that they can’t ship for whatever reason and refund.
Yes! I could kind of understand that maybe because of the holiday on the 4th, they weren’t able to meet Saturday delivery. But not sending them out on Monday for Tuesday delivery - no excuse. Why pay so much for priority overnight shipping otherwise? I might just go back to ordering from Ghann’s. They don’t sell hornworms, but maybe I’ll just hatch out silkworms more often.

Back
Top Bottom