Feeder storage

Croninking

Established Member
Potentially dumb question: I'm currently building a stand/storage area for an enclosure. I've heard some feeders keep better in a fridge. Would it be a bad idea to install a mini fridge under my enclosure?

Potentially dumb question: I'm currently building a stand/storage area for an enclosure. I've heard some feeders keep better in a fridge. Would it be a bad idea to install a mini fridge under my enclosure?
The only feeders I know that are kept in a fridge are mealworms and waxworms which both are not the best feeders for chams. Better to keep for beer or whine chilled. 😉

There are only a couple of feeders that imo are unaffected by being kept in a fridge and those are mealworms and waxworms. It will help slow their growth. Over the past year I had trouble finding bsfl that were not stored in a fridge as I believe they don’t do well. All those that I took a chance and bought were dead and dying. I had bought from various stores from chain stores to locally owned and the result was the same from all.

I should have added that I do have a small (holds a 6 pack) cheap fridge that I do use for buggy purposes. I’ll sometimes store prepared bug burger in it, my silkworm eggs, silkie chow, etc. Some will put hornworms in the fridge just for an overnight to try and slow their super rapid growth.

Blue bottle fly larvae you can slow them from pupating if you put them in the fridge... But not in a very cold section or you will kill them off. As they pupate with their little outer shell you take those out and then put them into a clear container with a lid so you can see when they hatch out. The rest will stay looking like maggots and slowly change.

If you do not put them in the fridge you end up with them all changing and then hatching out at the same time and end up with 250 flies... Did this and I do not recommend it lol

Blue bottle fly larvae you can slow them from pupating if you put them in the fridge... But not in a very cold section or you will kill them off. As they pupate with their little outer shell you take those out and then put them into a clear container with a lid so you can see when they hatch out. The rest will stay looking like maggots and slowly change.

If you do not put them in the fridge you end up with them all changing and then hatching out at the same time and end up with 250 flies... Did this and I do not recommend it lol
lol I did the same thing 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom