Feeders

Hello forum dwellers. I am getting a 5 month old panther chameleon on the 17th. I was just wondering when I should feed him different feeders. I am going to feed him super worms, Dubai roaches, crickets, horn worms, and silk worms. But primarily roaches and crickets. I was just wondering what feeders I should feed him more often.

Rotate as much as possible. Roaches will give high protein and crunchy food. Crickets are a good carrier of the vitamins and calcium. Horns are water in a tube, and silks are protein rich and a good source of water.

You might consider:

Phoenix worms if you can find them fresh, no better source of calcium.

Blue Bottle flies, best to stimulate hunting.

Green Banana Roaches for a soft roach.

And Stick insects for an insect that is not grain based.

CHEERS!

Nick

All feeders listed are great choices. I would alternate the dubia and crickets and use the worms as every two to three days. Gut load the crickets and superworms and beware of the hornworm and silkworms fever. Hornworms and silkies taste so good that it can cause the chameleon to be fussy over the next meals menu lol. I like to alternate food items as much as possible, I personally think that this is one of the key elements in keeping a healthy chameleon. Congrats on getting a new guy. Can't wait to see him!

Every cham is an individual, however: my panther cham prefers crickets, and if I feed them too often he will refuse to eat anything else. You will quickly get to know your new cham's favourite items :)

Make sure you are lightly dusting all your new cham's feeders following the accepted schedule for panthers:
Daily: phosphorus-free calcium without D3
Every 2 weeks: phosphorus-free calcium with D3 (skip the daily calcium this day)
Every 2 weeks, alternating with the Ca+D3: good multivitamin with prOformed vitamin A (skip the daily calcium this day)

As MissLissa said, each cham seems to have their own likes and dislikes. My 7 month old male panther loves Dubia, crickets, silkworms and stick bugs. He's not fond of hornworms at all and won't touch super worms. I tried BSF larva and he didn't even seem to recognize that they were food so I let them pupate into flies and he loves them. I've let silkworms turn into moths before and he ate a few of the moths but then wouldn't touch them again. I've tried butterworms as a treat and he ate one and none again after that.

Hello forum dwellers. I am getting a 5 month old panther chameleon on the 17th. I was just wondering when I should feed him different feeders. I am going to feed him super worms, Dubai roaches, crickets, horn worms, and silk worms. But primarily roaches and crickets. I was just wondering what feeders I should feed him more often.
I would feed super worms in very small quantity and not very often. My panther got to the point to where he refuses crickets and roaches. I'm only offering those now and even though he's holding out, he's gonna have to take one when he gets hungry enough.

I would feed super worms in very small quantity and not very often. My panther got to the point to where he refuses crickets and roaches. I'm only offering those now and even though he's holding out, he's gonna have to take one when he gets hungry enough.

Struggling with the same thing right now.

Back
Top Bottom