Female ambilobe laying multiple clutches question

Tree gem

After successful breeding, My female ambilobe laid her first clutch. I was told that females can lay multiple clutches from one breeding; approx. 7 weeks apart

Is it the norm for females to lay multiple clutches from one Breeding?

It has been nearly 10 weeks since her first clutch, and she has not re-laid in her bin. I cannot tell for sure if she has eggs or not.

Is it possible for a first time female to lay just one clutch of eggs?

Thanks for any input.

Yes, it is possible to only lay one clutch but some do lay two and sometimes even three clutches after one breeding and sometimes up, to six months after the breeding.

Thank you

I am aware that a female laying multiple clutches in a year can shorten her lifespan. Beyond this concern, is there any harm in attempting to breed her again?

Perhaps it'd be best to just be patient and wait up to the six months (as you said) to see if she lays any more.

Seems best to be patient and gentle with these fragile creatures...

Jann is correct about her laying. It is really up to that female and she could lay more than one clutch or she could stop after one. I would look at her coloration and see if she seems receptive or not.

If she is showing receptive colors and doesn't becoming upset with the male, there is no harm in breeding again. Again, it is going to be up to the female and her willingness to breed or not. She could very well make you wait 6+ month before she will even think about seeing a male around lol.

You Can breed her again, but you may have missed her receptive period,usually 4-6 weeks after laying eggs. When you bred her the first time did you let the pair stay together until she rejected him? That can be up to several days and several breedings, which would enhance the chances of multiple clutches from the one breeding. I've found that virgin females will often breed multiple times over a few days whereas older females tend to tolerate just one breeding then turn dark and reject the male almost immediately.

3 clutches

My female panther cham (Jewel) layed 3 clutches from one breeding... the first 2 clutches were layed exactly 2 months apart.. the third clutch was layed about 3 months after the second and the whole clutch molded, went bad.....

I will share my experience with you in the hopes it gives you some more insight.

I bred my Panthers last year. I put them together one day and they did the deed. The following day, I put them together again and they did the deed again. From that pairing - I got two fertile clutches that were laid 2 months apart. A couple of months after her second fertile clutch was laid, she laid a small infertile clutch.

So yes, you can have more than one fertile clutch from any one pairing.

Back
Top Bottom