Female panther hunger strike.

Butcha6980

Hi guys, not sure if I'm in the right place, first time on the forums. My 9 month old female nosy faley has gone on a hunger strike, it's been nearly 3 weeks now and I'm getting worried. She won't eat anything I've offered, crickets, brown and banded, locusts, silk worms, dubia roaches. She's just not interested and I could really use some help please.

There's no sign of eggs and no bulging at the back of her body near her back legs also she isn't gravid colours.

To post a picture, click on Reply like normal, then in the top row of the dialogue box you will see a paper clip. Click on that to attach an image. Then Submit Reply. What are you using for a "laying box"?

I'm using a plastic box 12" long 6" wide and 6" tall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 172
I've got Eco soil in the laying box that's damp but not to wet. The laying box isn't in the picture as I had just put the log in through the middle of the cage about 10 days ago as the bits in there she was to heavy for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 145
I actually think she looks like she might be gravid. It is hard to say for sure sometimes, even seeing them in person. My first thought is that your laying box may not be wide enough or deep enough for her. I know a lot of them like to go down 10", at least, to lay. Hopefully someone with more recent or extensive experience can chime in also. I have had great success using a three gallon bucket for them to lay in, filled to about an inch from the top.

my panther's lay box

My panther has layed three nice white good size clutches in her lay box... it is a plastic canister which I bought at Walmart it came in a set of four the one I chose measures; 8.15 in W X 8.55 in H X 8.15 in D filled with moist clean play sand 2 1/4 in from the top... it is set in one corner of the bottom, one of her branches runs by it for her access also when I know she is getting close to time to lay I cover the corner of the cage that the lay box is located in.....

Attachments

• 20150203_015802.jpg
    20150203_015802.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 121
My girl soesnt go near her lay box, think I need to put some more branches near it for her to get down there easier and maybe change from eco earth to play sand.

dimensions of container

Maybe a container with the dimensions I shared with you in my last post along with the clean moist play sand.....

She does have days where she looks gravid but then goes back to lighter colours, how long are they gravid for before getting ready to lay?? This is her about a month ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 133
Shortly after this she slowed down eating and then stopped. Before this she was eating up to 4 boxes of dusted locust a week.

Cindyloo do you put any holes in your laying box for excess water to drain out? Also can anyone tell me the correct ambient temperature for the viv? Cheers.

regarding holes

No I don't put holes in the container.... I dig a small hole in one of the corners of the sand in the lay box with a dowel stick. She ends up digging in that corner and then I can tell she's layed cuz then the hole is covered up... I just moisten the sand to the point of where it can hold some form but not to where water squeezes out of it this way when she digs the sand will somewhat stay where she puts it.. cuz she will dig all the way to the bottom and then turn around to lay the eggs in the bottom then cover them up. You should also check the top of the sand everyday and mist with water if it is dry so you keep the moisture good.

Back
Top Bottom