Female panther in laying bin questions

Tree gem

So I have had my male and female ambilobe for over a year. I have started dabbling in breeding, but am still inexperienced and have much to learn.

I waited till my female was around 65 grams to breed her. I had introduced the female to the male several times, he would head bob a bit, but I never really caught them breeding. Finally I introduced them and my male was very animated, turned bright and went strait to her. I saw them intertwined and afterword thOught maybe I saw some sperm plug on the males back end. At this point, I was pretty confident that they had mated.

Based on my research, I am under the impression that a female should start to show some gravid coloration within a week or two and lay her eggs within a month to a month and a half, ballpark?

It had been nearly 2.5 weeks and I had not necessarily noticed any dramatic coloration changes in my female. To be sure I reintroduced her to my male, she turned dark black, gaped, hissed and refused his advances. I have never seen her refuse him in this manner so I assumed that maybe she was gravid.

Again, I have not seen her display any dramatic or consistent gravid coloration when she's alone. But I have read that all females are different and some may not show dramatic gravid coloration, but still be gravid. To be safe I put a laying bin in her cage and covered her cage for privacy.

So it's been almost a month, yesterday I did not notice the female in her cage. I noticed a burrow hole on the surface of the laying bin. I peaked in all day and have not seen her re-emerge. Today is a new day meaning she stayed down there through the night.

My house gets pretty cold at night, though I know panthers can tolerate as low as the mid 50s at night. That being said, I'm wondering if her being down in the wet sand through the night may insulate her from the heat lamp in the morning. They usually need to heat up in the mornings to start moving around. I am also concerned that her tunnel may have collapsed, even though I feel I moistened the sand enough.

Finally, this particular female has always been really shy. Even with plenty of cover and foliage, I can always sense her discomfort when I look at her or access her cage. Is it possible that she's not gravid at all? Is she just really shy and dug the burrow as a new hiding place?

I guess I'm just seeking support and advice. Should I lower the level of my lamp to insure she has warm temps while she's in her bin? It's been a day and a half and I haven't seen her still. Should i dig her up and check on her? Again this is new territory, I love my chams and I put a lot of time into them so it is stressful anytime you think or feel something might be wrong.

I'm going to be patient and hope for the best. If all works out, I should be the proud owner of a new clutch of eggs. Hopefully.... Thanks for any input.

Update: She has emerged!! I noticed her still in the laying box near the mouth of the hole she dug. I'm glad she's alright. I decided to back away and leave her alone for now. I don't know if she is currently laying her eggs, has already laid them and is just filling the hole back in or if there are no eggs. Like I said, I wasn't sure if she was gravid or not. I'll check tomorrow and update.

Eggs!!

I officially have my first batch of eggs. Goodness what an emotional roller coaster. My female is fine and I have 14 eggs to wait on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 216
Congratulations. Now the waiting - that takes forever. But I am glad you have eggs and your girl is ok.

It can be a nerve racking experience. I was just as nervous with my first clutch. Now it has been 7.5 months and 5 clutches later (2 females) and my eggs are still showing no signs of hatching anytime soon. Some of them are HUGE compared to when they were laid, so I hope to see the first hatchlings soon.

Congrats and enjoy the LONG wait. Don't forget that she will probably lay 2 more clutches over the next few months. My girl laid 3 clutches from her breeding, a total of 88 eggs. So far I have lost only 1 because the substrate around it got too wet and the egg burst.

Keep us updated on their progress!

Back
Top Bottom