Female Veiled is black and laying on the floor

Ilikepie9999

Female Veiled, 1 year old, Had for just under one year
I hardly ever handle her
feed 12 crickets every other day
spraying crickets with zilla calcium supplement
Mist 3 times a day
Healthy looking feces

Exo Terra glass 18x18x24 (ordererd a 2'X2'X4' screen cage two days ago)
Exo Terra light hood, 2X reptiglo 5.0
75-60 degrees
no live plants
located on dresser with heat rising behind it
Southeast Wisconsin

My Veiled cham has been spending all day sitting in the same spot all day everyday halfway on the ground and half hanging from the foam background with her tail curled and is pitch black. Every night she climbs up to the top falls asleep and quickly turns a happy healthy green. Shes eating normally but im not sure if shes drinking. Does she need to lay eggs??

You should do this ASAP! If she does not feel comfortable to lay her eggs she can become egg bound and die.

If shes laying on the floor you need a vet, not a lay bin.

Even if it is eggs, shes too far past the safe point to lay them naturally.

She's not laying down per say shes standing on the ground (Should have worded better) and she moves if provoked
I just felt for eggs and i definitely felt them
Going to get supplies for a laying bin right now.

just got home and I have to thaw out the play sand (Its -10 in slinger WI)
She is bright green and seems totally healthy......wierd.
still 90% sure she needs to lay though

Happy to hear you got all the laying bin supplies. I would keep that in there with her at all times. JMO. All of my females keep one in theirs. Hopefully all goes well with her laying! Keep us posted. :)

It is a good thing you have found a laying bin.

There are aspects of your husbandry that need correcting ASAP if she is to remain healthy.

Please take a look at the care guide in the link below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Pay extra attention to Supplementation and Lighting needs. It sounds like you don't use a basking light? Your supplementation needs a complete revamp.

sorry forgot to mention i have a basking light and back up ceramic bulb for when its cold at night.
what else do I need to change other than supplements??

sorry forgot to mention i have a basking light and back up ceramic bulb for when its cold at night.
what else do I need to change other than supplements??

What are her temps throughout her cage during the day? She needs to have an ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C).

What are her temps at night? If the temperature doesn't get below 50's or so.. you don't need a night time heat source.

As far as supplementation. Some differ slightly from this but as general rule of thumb for your veiled.. calcium (w/out D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium w/ D3 once every 2 weeks.

Here is a caresheet link if you would like. :) https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Thank you for the Advice
She is in the laying bin I made
The one thing i'm concerned about is that she didn't have any yellow spots ever to indicate that she was gravid.
And that instead of feeling eggs, i was feeling her smaller rib bones

Thank you for the Advice
She is in the laying bin I made
The one thing i'm concerned about is that she didn't have any yellow spots ever to indicate that she was gravid.
And that instead of feeling eggs, i was feeling her smaller rib bones

That is why when you have a female of egg laying age you just keep the bin in her cage at all times.

Females may not show gravid colors, especially if they have not been bred.

Back
Top Bottom