Finished my Cage. (with pics)

Fallendude0

So about two weeks ago I asked a few questions on here and decided the cage I had ordered from chameleons only was going to be too small for a chameleon, and that I should just build one how I wanted. Just wanted to post some pics of it on here and see what y'all thought about it. Right now the basking spot is about 80-82 degrees, and humidity in the middle of the cage is atleast 55% - 80% depending on when it was sprayed and area in the cage. Alright, here are some pics :
iphone169.jpg

By fallendude0 at 2012-02-19
iphone178.jpg

iphone179.jpg

iphone180.jpg

iphone181s.jpg

iphone182.jpg

iphone183.jpg

Taken on a phone! sorry. haha

I've built out of wood in the past, you may want to consider several coats of sealer or waterproofing of some kind to prevent mold and mildew as we as it simply rotting an falling apart.

I've built out of wood in the past, you may want to consider several coats of sealer or waterproofing of some kind to prevent mold and mildew as we as it simply rotting an falling apart.

Yes..... A good sealer is required...Spar varnish is great, but does take some time to cure

Looks pro! I would take the advice about the sealant or waterproofer. That wood could warp and mold real quick. Awesome job!

looks great, but the wood is unsealed? it will mold/rot out real fast without some form of sealer...

EDIT: I see you say you stained it...just can't tell in the pictures. In that case, looks great!

Might I suggest:

Behr all-weatherproofer...withstands blizzard/hail/etc (weaker, but its a "stain" so the wood grain shows through)

OR

"Dry-Lok" <--latex based primer. It dries a hard, solid seal "over" the wood that can withstand 10psi. This should last you forever.

Drylok comes in "white" but if you go to the building materials aisle there are brown/grey/terracotta colored CEMENT PIGMENTS. You can use these to color the drylok to your desired color at home (or you can have the HD guy mix it up for you, but i prefer to mix it myself so I can use different colors)

The lighting is different of course but I think the later pics make the wood look very obviously darker than the first one...........

Yours looks exactly identical to mine. However i made mine a double cage. I used the exact same framing and even the exact bottom part for draining. I think we even used the same wood for the bottom floor for plants to sit on. I would HIGHLY suggest taking it out now. I thought it would be fine if i sealed it really well. I was wrong. So much water is on the bottom of the cage that it gets ruined really quickly. I took it out and put a flexible, easy to cut waterproof plastic/rubber from home depot that comes in a 4 x 8 sheet.

You did a great job building it!

Thanks, right now im leaning on a panther chameleon. Leaning toward an ambanja.

Cool, I never had a panther, so I never know what locale they are.......I'm sure you'll post a few pics on arrival though :)

Thanks, right now im leaning on a panther chameleon. Leaning toward an ambanja.

OMG, leaning on a panther why that's animal abuse, I'm suprized it has not bitten you :p haha.

Sweet looking cage wish I would have went with thiner wood for mine lol mine weighs about 50-60lbs without the doors, screen or floor boards. Haha shouldn't of went with oak:p

Yours looks exactly identical to mine. However i made mine a double cage. I used the exact same framing and even the exact bottom part for draining. I think we even used the same wood for the bottom floor for plants to sit on. I would HIGHLY suggest taking it out now. I thought it would be fine if i sealed it really well. I was wrong. So much water is on the bottom of the cage that it gets ruined really quickly. I took it out and put a flexible, easy to cut waterproof plastic/rubber from home depot that comes in a 4 x 8 sheet.

You did a great job building it!

Thanks man, thats crazy though. Great minds think alike? ha.
So you think if I put a towel at the bottom and do the idea of just washing it and replacing it I'd still have to change out the bottom?

OMG, leaning on a panther why that's animal abuse, I'm suprized it has not bitten you :p haha.

Sweet looking cage wish I would have went with thiner wood for mine lol mine weighs about 50-60lbs without the doors, screen or floor boards. Haha shouldn't of went with oak:p

HAHA, naw they eat steroided crickets, only breed super chameleons(the next secret weapon for the military).

Appreciate it, its pretty light, and used birch wood for the flooring so it'd be strong enough to hold the plants up.

Thanks man, thats crazy though. Great minds think alike? ha.
So you think if I put a towel at the bottom and do the idea of just washing it and replacing it I'd still have to change out the bottom?

The towel will still be holding a lot of moisture and may cause bacterial problems. How about a thick epoxy coating on the wood with a drain in the middle? You could buy a sweater box of equivalent size a cut the plastic out of it. Or use that really thick vinyl that comes in a roll.

Cool, I never had a panther, so I never know what locale they are.......I'm sure you'll post a few pics on arrival though :)

Oh definitely, I spend most of my freetime looking at y'alls pictures already!

The towel will still be holding a lot of moisture and may cause bacterial problems. How about a thick epoxy coating on the wood with a drain in the middle? You could buy a sweater box of equivalent size a cut the plastic out of it. Or use that really thick vinyl that comes in a roll.

Yeah, decided on going with sticktongue's idea, since we have a similiar cage anyways. haha, na it does sound like the best bet though. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom