finished my custom viv

karenh

after three months of hard work my custom viv has been finished and my 2yr old yeman (olly) has moved in with his house mate herman the tortoise. lots of live food (hoppers) in the viv.

Attachments

• new viv.2.jpg
    new viv.2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 326
  • ollys new house mate.jpg
    ollys new house mate.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 204
  • new viv.jpg
    new viv.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 238
Good looking. Not to spoil your idea and time but glass is very BAD for chameleons. It will/may stress them out because of the reflection

maybe if replacing every other glass panel with screen you could diminish the reflection factor, and favor ventilation. Isn't there anti-reflective film that can be applied to glass panels? I believe this kind of film is used in trucks to prevent the windshield from reflecting instrument lights at night - there is a similar coating on my glasses too ;) maybe it's worth a little research

It looks perfect for day geckos though :D I will surely get inspiration from the hexagonal design as it provides them lots of extra climbing space :)

Aside from the glass issue, the terrarium looks admirable! The central "pylon" with branches and plants is a superb idea as well.

belive it or not there is very little reflection in the viv, olly seems very happy just very busy exploring, the centre support i drilled holes in to it and attached java branches that i got from a shop selling bird supplies and covered the with fake ficus plants, there are some real plants in the viv.

yes there is a server cooling fan retro fitted into the roof (see top right of the photo) i have it on a timer to come on a couple of times during the day for 20 min. i have also fitted a high pressure misting system with three spray heads that mists the viv twice a day

sweet! a glass cage that large sholdnt be to much of an issue with stale air.
a small fan is a good idea, which you do have.
question:how do you get inside???lol

Wow looks amazing:) But your cham doesn't get stressed living with a tortoise? Or they both move so slow they can't tell anyone's living with them:p

at the back of the viv one of panels is a wooden door for access to insides, this is what two of the basking lamps are attached to, as for the tortoise and the cham sharing, one lives up in the tree part and the other is a ground dweller, if there was a problem i would move the tortoise back to his own enclosure, soon as the weather gets hotter he will be back outside.

Wow cool then, if the cham is ok with his reflection (what a proud specimen you have lol ! :D) and the ventilation is good, it should be cool :) the central tree idea is certainly very practical and aesthetic!

Just as a safety suggestion, as there is frequent misting and a turtle on the ground level if I read correctly, I recommend cleaning the turtle level often as those pets are usually carriers of many a bacterium that is potentially problematic (notably, salmonellas).

Back
Top Bottom