First generation for my cricket colony.

KRuehle

I'm going to start breeding crickets soon, however I feel like the crickets you start out with are important for the health of the future generations. Where should I buy the best quality crickets to ensure that the babies are the healthiest and most nutritious they can be?

Crickets stink bad and are noisy and die easily. Have you considered dubia roaches?
I have considered dubia roaches, however I am not a roach fan and the thought of them escaping is terrifying, especially in a rental house. I would be able to keep the crickets in an area away from the living space, so I will not be bothered by noise or smell.

I have seen videos of them and how their populations explode. Maybe at some point in the future I'll breed them, but right now I'm not in a position where I'm able to.
I feel the same way! I don't know if I can get over the disgusted feeling of having them in my house.

I'm going to start breeding crickets soon, however I feel like the crickets you start out with are important for the health of the future generations. Where should I buy the best quality crickets to ensure that the babies are the healthiest and most nutritious they can be?
I decided to try breeding Banded Crickets because they are resistant to AdDNV cricket virus. I got mine from Ghanns Cricket Farm. They were a little more expensive but arrived really healthy. The Banded crickets don't seem to smell as bad or chirp as loudly as the House Crickets that are sold from most dealers and they seem pretty hardy.
Anyhow, the breeding was successful and I now have thousands of growing baby Banded Crickets. Hopefully I can raise them them to adults without any issues and then I'll breed those and see what happens :)

I decided to try breeding Banded Crickets because they are resistant to AdDNV cricket virus. I got mine from Ghanns Cricket Farm. They were a little more expensive but arrived really healthy. The Banded crickets don't seem to smell as bad or chirp as loudly as the House Crickets that are sold from most dealers and they seem pretty hardy.
Anyhow, the breeding was successful and I now have thousands of growing baby Banded Crickets. Hopefully I can raise them them to adults without any issues and then I'll breed those and see what happens :)
I'd be really interested in seeing their growth and watch your success and I'm sure others would too. You should make a post about it

I've never found a suitable replacement for crickets. I keep a lot of different species of insect eaters and most of them do very well on crickets. I find them pretty easy to breed and I usually have a box or two of them going, I also order some from Flukers, too. I've kept the Dubias for a year or so and still find them disgusting and difficult because some species don't eat them. They are easier to keep, however. My cricket colonies are sensitive to overly humid conditions. If kept warm and dry, especially when smaller, they do great.

Banded crickets are a good recommendation. In addition to the benefits already given they tend to bite less which is a huge benefit if you free feed. The downside is that don't get quite as big as other cricket species but the size difference is minor.

Ultimately any reputable cricket breeder will work fine. After the first generation where they came from won't matter one bit.

I have considered dubia roaches, however I am not a roach fan and the thought of them escaping is terrifying, especially in a rental house. I would be able to keep the crickets in an area away from the living space, so I will not be bothered by noise or smell.

Dubia's do not climb and to not survive in standard households. If they escaped, they would most likely die. They are healthier, and larger than crickets with no smell or noise. They are VERY hardy. Dubia's are much better.

Back
Top Bottom