Follow our journey...

opiroux

We found this dude after hurricane Milton passed down here in North Sarasota. We were getting a ladder to assess roof damages when he was spotted strolling across the pack patio.

He is currently unnamed and staying in the hanging pathos plant on the shower curtain rod.

I plan to provide a free range habitat, sunshine for UVB, and raise discoid for him. I hope I can get some feedback as the project evolves.

Note: closset thing to a Chameleon I've ever cared for was a Turtle. 😅

Attachments

• 20241014_124008.jpg
    20241014_124008.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi and welcome! :) Will you be keeping him outside? I ask because you say “I plan to provide a free range habitat, sunshine for UVB“. Do you have a screened lanai or pool? You’ll need to provide him some shaded areas to escape the sun. I don’t know how cold it gets there in the winter, but if it gets in the 50’s or colder, you’ll need to bring him inside. I’m over in Brevard county and it gets surprisingly cold here. I have a male veiled that was found here last year and will encourage you to have your guy checked for parasites. Have you yet found or checked out https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ or Neptune the chameleon on YouTube? Those are great resources to learn current and correct husbandry. Do ask whatever questions you have here.

Hi and welcome! :) Will you be keeping him outside? I ask because you say “I plan to provide a free range habitat, sunshine for UVB“. Do you have a screened lanai or pool? You’ll need to provide him some shaded areas to escape the sun. I don’t know how cold it gets there in the winter, but if it gets in the 50’s or colder, you’ll need to bring him inside. I’m over in Brevard county and it gets surprisingly cold here. I have a male veiled that was found here last year and will encourage you to have your guy checked for parasites. Have you yet found or checked out https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ or Neptune the chameleon on YouTube? Those are great resources to learn current and correct husbandry. Do ask whatever questions you have here.
Thanks!! I was planning on free ranging indoors with a heat lamp above him. We already go outdoors in the mornings to hangout with the chickens and provide ourselves with some much needed sunlight to start the day. I was hoping I could bring Mr. Chameleon with us.

Is there a OTC general dewormer available?

I’m not sure he’ll be able to get enough uvb from that, but more importantly is that chameleons and especially veileds do not care for human interaction and it causes the, stress. The only thing they desire from us is food. Even the veileds who are the rare pleasant ones can be very moody. So I definitely suggest getting a T5 uvb with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% for inside. You’ll want it to be 8-9” above his basking area. He’ll also need some supplements - a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 to be lightly dusted at every feeding and then for one feeding every other week (or twice a month) a combination multivitamin and D3 of Repashy Calcium Plus LoD.
I’m afraid that there is no general dewormer. He’ll need a fresh poo to be tested by a vet and then treatment is based on whatever parasite he may have. When out in the wild, they are exposed to all different potential parasites and it would be quite rare for him to not have any.

Back
Top Bottom