Forum advice on a new panther purchase

Tree gem

Background: I have several ambilobe and just had my first batch of babies. I suppose you could call me a new breeder. I am fascinated with the Ybrb color line found in the ambilobes.
I recently bought a juvenile with a Ybrb sire, but the breeder is cautioning me that there is no guarantee he will also be a Ybrb. He says the only way to know for sure you have a Ybrb is to buy an adult.
I want a Ybrb!! I want to start my own Ybrb line. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a sweet looking adult Ybrb ambilobe. The seller is asking 200 dollars and are willing to ship him. The only bad thing is I get the impression that the sellers have not taken very good care of this awesome guy.
He has significant thermal burns on the knees of both of his rear legs.
In the picture his spikes are turning black which makes me think those have also been burned and may fall off. Let me know if you agree with that assessment of the spikes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 161
Should I rescue him

A healthy adult Ybrb male breeder could go for up to $500. I could get this guy as a rescue project, and even if he looks a little rough from the burns, his color line and genetics are rad.
Should I offer $100 instead of $200? Or should I just avoid this guy completely. Always respect the sound advice found on the forum. Thanks guys

Background: I have several ambilobe and just had my first batch of babies. I suppose you could call me a new breeder. I am fascinated with the Ybrb color line found in the ambilobes.
I recently bought a juvenile with a Ybrb sire, but the breeder is cautioning me that there is no guarantee he will also be a Ybrb. He says the only way to know for sure you have a Ybrb is to buy an adult.
I want a Ybrb!! I want to start my own Ybrb line. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a sweet looking adult Ybrb ambilobe. The seller is asking 200 dollars and are willing to ship him. The only bad thing is I get the impression that the sellers have not taken very good care of this awesome guy.
He has significant thermal burns on the knees of both of his rear legs.
In the picture his spikes are turning black which makes me think those have also been burned and may fall off. Let me know if you agree with that assessment of the spikes.

Yes, those spikes look damaged or necrotic. I also see a partially closed eye and sunken eye turret. Burns can heal and might not affect his ability to breed, but if there's something metabolic going on as well he may not produce more than vet bills. Poor thing. Doesn't look very good to me.

A healthy adult Ybrb male breeder could go for up to $500. I could get this guy as a rescue project, and even if he looks a little rough from the burns, his color line and genetics are rad.
Should I offer $100 instead of $200? Or should I just avoid this guy completely. Always respect the sound advice found on the forum. Thanks guys

Maybe a better question to ask yourself is do you want to "reward" the seller for treating this cham poorly or not?

Poor Cham. Forget breeding him for now. I think you should concentrate a little more on saving his life. I'd offer whatever it took to get him the heck out of the situation he's in.

Thanks for the input

It is kind of a moral dilemma. I do not want to reward the sellers for their poor husbandry, but I also see the point Of wanting to rescue the chameleon so he will not have to suffer anymore...

After meditating on it, I am leaning towards getting him. Best case- he recovers and is able to be healthy and happy and maybe even pass on his genes someday. Worst case- he is permanently damaged and handicap through his life, but I can provide him with specialized care and give him better conditions than he has known for the remainder of his life. Service to the chameleon would surely yield good karma from the chameleon gods right!? Maybe a Parsonii will randomly come to my door someday here in WY. *

I will keep you guys posted on my final decision.

It is kind of a moral dilemma. I do not want to reward the sellers for their poor husbandry, but I also see the point Of wanting to rescue the chameleon so he will not have to suffer anymore...

After meditating on it, I am leaning towards getting him. Best case- he recovers and is able to be healthy and happy and maybe even pass on his genes someday. Worst case- he is permanently damaged and handicap through his life, but I can provide him with specialized care and give him better conditions than he has known for the remainder of his life. Service to the chameleon would surely yield good karma from the chameleon gods right!? Maybe a Parsonii will randomly come to my door someday here in WY. *

I will keep you guys posted on my final decision.

We can certainly commiserate! How many times have I seen a doomed cham in pet shops or in the hands of someone who really shouldn't have one, and struggled with the same decision. If burns are all that he has going on he can heal from those with proper care. I guess I would approach them with a very low offer (so they don't end up getting a reward). Poor old man. Either way I wish you luck!

I notified the sellers that their Cham has some significant health issues. I told them I could not offer $200. I told them it was unlikely anyone would pay 200 for such a damaged Cham. I made a standing offer of $100 and told them if they wanted him in a good home and couldn't get rid of him to let me know. I think the truth hurt their pride and I have not heard back from them.....

Back
Top Bottom