Frozen or Fresh!?!?!

Cheeto

I have observed two prevalent methods for gut-loading feeder insects: freezing blended food mixtures and directly providing fresh vegetables in the feeder bin. I seek to understand which method is more effective.

I have observed two prevalent methods for gut-loading feeder insects: freezing blended food mixtures and directly providing fresh vegetables in the feeder bin. I seek to understand which method is more effective.

I think this comes down to what's actually better for you to prepare. They're both highly effective and work just fine. I personally freeze because it allows for the 'least maintenance' while doing a great job of gutloading. We rarely have to make it because we make a bunch of food. It's super easy to feed the crickets each night, and we don't have to regularly buy groceries for it. It's almost surely cheaper to do it this way.

But obviously you'll get what you need out of fresh vegetables. The one thing I would say is... you're probably more likely to "evenly gutload" with frozen vs fresh since you're basically controlling the fact they're eating everything. Not just picking and choosing. Maybe some more experienced with this can chime in with more/better info. But I personally really prefer freezing.

I also use Frams Chams bug food. I offer a tray of frozen and a tray of that dry stuff so they do have options to an extent. This has worked well for me so far.

Both methods you are talking about are equally as effective.

Here is an image to help you either way you choose to go.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

I prefer to feed fresh, but I also keep a bag of frozen veggies (some mix with bell pepper, squash or something) for when I’m in a rush. I had tried making my own ice cube style mix and once it thawed, it made such a mess and the bugs wouldn’t eat it.

I tried using frozen papaya to gut-load my feeder insects, but it smelled awful and got moldy within a few hours. None of the bugs ate any of it.😭 I just thought that freezing ice cubes would be better.

I tried using frozen papaya to gut-load my feeder insects, but it smelled awful and got moldy within a few hours. None of the bugs ate any of it.😭 I just thought that freezing ice cubes would be better.
Yeah no you do not want to do it that way. Either blend down your fresh in the amounts it says on the gutload sheet or you give the fresh in the amounts it says on the gutload sheet. You want diversity in your gutload so they are getting as many nutrients as possible to pass on to the chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom