Future Chameleon Owner

MissBritt

Hi! I am very interested in purchasing a Chameleon. So I've been researching for days. I feel like I know what to get for him/her but was hoping for some feedback on where to purchase the Chameleon from?

I have an Exo-Terra mesh cage, will be purchasing a Repti-Sun 5.0 bulb, a Zoo-Med Repti-Fogger and a drip system, I have fake bendable vines and plants, will be looking into getting a few live plants(not sure which ones but I looked over the list quite a few times). I think that covers it? I had a Veiled a few years ago, but she was sick when I brought her home from my job at Petsmart and I couldn't save her. I just want to make sure I'm going to be doing everything right so I can have a happy, healthy baby.

Yeah that brand is fine. My biggest advice is to make sure you have your new friends home set up BEFORE you get him or her, and to do as much research as possible. Plan on having lots of bugs, and don't buy a cham from a petstore try looking at the classifieds here. Have fun!

Yeah that brand is fine. My biggest advice is to make sure you have your new friends home set up BEFORE you get him or her, and to do as much research as possible. Plan on having lots of bugs, and don't buy a cham from a petstore try looking at the classifieds here. Have fun!

Thanks for the input, I'm trying to make sure I have everything prepared ahead of time, I see they get stressed easily.

If you like colors get a male panther chameleon, females aren't as colorful. Do lots of research, I've been researching for weeks and weeks. What size is the cage? You need lots of foliage... If you can get one decent sized ficus plant and vines that's pretty good, their should be space in the cage so the Cham can move all over but the plant should take up and cover most or all of the cage, make sure it's not sparse and empty, big plant but Cham needs to be able to move. Get a spray bottle for misting or a mistking, foggers are ok but a mist king is better, for an adult male panther your going to need a 4' tall cage by 2-3' wide.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me or any other people that seem knowledgable!

-Cole

I believe it 18x18x24. We were looking at getting a male Nosy Be from FL Chams, they say they are 3 months right now, so the cage I have should be sufficient for now, right? I don't want the cage to be too big when he's still a baby.

The Fogger would be for while I am at work to help keep the humidity. I would still mist in the morning and when I get home.

I just recently got my Nosy Be (my first chameleon) from a local breeder (and a sponser on the forum) and I love him! Sounds like you've done your research! I agree with above to browse the "for sale" spot on this forum. It's a great spot to find the deal you're looking for! :) Take your time and be patient. The right little chameleon will come along. Once he's yours, he will keep you busy! But it's great fun. You'll learn a lot. :)

This is Steve! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 79
If I'm not mistaken, foggers can promote bacteria, and uri. I have a rain dome! That thing is amazing! I found some really cheap ficus plants, and umbrella plants at my local lows! There is a foot of snow where i live so i bet if you have a lows near they might have one of the two! I think panthers are beautiful! lllrep has some great looking little dude for sale right now and they have great prices! Hope you have fun!!

I believe it 18x18x24. We were looking at getting a male Nosy Be from FL Chams, they say they are 3 months right now, so the cage I have should be sufficient for now, right? I don't want the cage to be too big when he's still a baby.

The Fogger would be for while I am at work to help keep the humidity. I would still mist in the morning and when I get home.

For 3 months maybe, they grow fast! Move him into a bigger cage at 6 months and that could be his adult cage if you want! It won't be too big, they like big cages! Don't worry too much about that. If the fogger is only for a short time of day then it's fine. But foggers can cause infections and diseases.

Kammerflage sells awesome little guys from amazing blood lines IMO:) That's where my panther is from and I've had great experience with their customer service and answering all my questions via email and over the phone. They know their stuff and have been working with chameleons for 30+ years! Mine came healthy and happy once I got him in his home and he ate right away which I may have just been lucky with, but still! I especially liked on their website when you pick one, it's the actual one that's pictured is the one you will be buying. Just my oppinion! Good luck with everything:)

I was going to go with Repti-Cal calcium with & without d3 and Repti-Cal Heptivite.. Is that a good brand to go with?

I use Repashy's Calcium plus which is a multivitamin and calcium in one that you use at every feeding. I like this because that way you don't have to have a schedual to keep track of. The Kammers have been using it with great results and they've been doing this for 30 years so I trust them!

I use Repashy's Calcium plus which is a multivitamin and calcium in one that you use at every feeding. I like this because that way you don't have to have a schedual to keep track of. The Kammers have been using it with great results and they've been doing this for 30 years so I trust them!

Just a note- they have been keeping chameleons for a long time.... But not using repashy calcium plus for 30 years. The wording might confuse some.

It has still yet to be proven that this product can be used safely over an extended period of time. This has been discussed on previous threads and is an interesting read.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse! Yes you are correct, they have not been using it for the 30 yrs, but they have tested it with good results! I'm in no way an expert, I've had my little guy for a year now and that's all I've used, and he's doing very well! Just thought I'd suggest it, it does make things much simpler:eek: The biggest thing is making sure the chameleon stays healthy and happy, so whatever you chose to do, just make sure you stay on the schedual:)

If I'm not mistaken, foggers can promote bacteria, and uri. I have a rain dome! That thing is amazing! I found some really cheap ficus plants, and umbrella plants at my local lows! There is a foot of snow where i live so i bet if you have a lows near they might have one of the two! I think panthers are beautiful! lllrep has some great looking little dude for sale right now and they have great prices! Hope you have fun!!

So, even if the Fogger unit itself is outside the cage it can spread bacteria? I know the waterfalls are bad because they poop in them and crickets can get in there and other bad things.. The Fogger would not be the primary source for the humidity, just for during the day when I am not there to monitor it. The raindome seems pretty good, I'm just concerned that the humidity will not stay where it needs to using the rain done.

Back
Top Bottom