Gary’s eye

• Your Chameleon - Amibole Panther Chameleon, Male, 6-8 months. He’s been in my care for 2 months.
  • Handling - Whenever he wants to (climbs onto my hand on his own) which is about every other day.
  • Feeding - Crickets, and super worms. 12 Crickets a day. I feed him every day. I give the crickets lettuce, Carrots, Sweet potato, bell peppers, Broccoli. I switch it up every day.
  • Supplements - I use repti calcium 3 times a week starting on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then I started using Repashy Vitamin A plus once a week on Tuesday think it would help his eye (it hasn’t helped from what I can see).
  • Watering - I use a very fine mister 4 times a day. Then I have a fogger that also produces water droplets everywhere. I see him drink almost everyday and if he wants to be taken out he will drink from the counter if I spray it.

• Fecal Description - the white part is white never yellowish. The rest of it looks like normal poop from other threads I’ve see about poop. He was tested for parasites 3 weeks ago came back negative.
  • History - Nothing use full

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - The cage is glass with a screen top. 36x 18x 36.
  • Lighting - zoomed repti sun 5.0 bar light. Zoo med 50w basking spot lamp.
  • Temperature - 70-92 degrees F
  • Humidity - 70-85%. Repti fogger and misting. I use 2 humidity gauges I don’t know what brand.
  • Plants - I have a Fiscus I don’t remember what type but I do know that two sources said it was safe.
  • Placement - The cage is in my room. It’s not near any vents and there’s not any high traffic. It’s 3 feet from the ground.
  • Location - SLC, Utah.

Current Problem - Gary has had issues with his eye where he keeps it closed 90% of the time. He will open it but not much. I’ve taken him to the vet to see if he had parasites or early signs of MBD and he was negative for both. I’ve given him pre formed vitiam A supplements to see if that would help (it has not). Today I saw him grab his eye with his back leg and I stoped him because it was pretty aggressive. I then put his eye in water and he kept putting his eye in and out as if something were in it. He also will rub his eye on my hand and I will drop water on it then he will flush his eye out.

Attachments

• 4872CACD-A7E1-45E0-A4C0-05ABE2E56AE1.jpeg
    4872CACD-A7E1-45E0-A4C0-05ABE2E56AE1.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 116
  • C2AA840F-A521-4F5B-89AE-C12F04FC32F8.jpeg
    C2AA840F-A521-4F5B-89AE-C12F04FC32F8.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 3494F10D-1273-4D9B-BF96-9B0A2DDB52B6.jpeg
    3494F10D-1273-4D9B-BF96-9B0A2DDB52B6.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 316D80B0-73FE-47D6-99B1-4478C1D18685.jpeg
    316D80B0-73FE-47D6-99B1-4478C1D18685.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 87
Nice looking cham. Sorry you're having problems though. How long are you misting? Chameleons greatly benefit from long misting sessions rather than frequent short sessions. This is when they clean out their eyes. I'd suggest taking him into the shower on a plant. Let the shower hit the wall with the small droplets reaching him. Give him at least 30min to and hour in there. I'd try this for a few days and see if helps. I'd also set your mister to do long 5+ min mistings.

Little bit of advice too, I wouldn't gutload with brocolli very often. It is high in goitrogens which can cause hypothyroidism. Though it could be countered with high iodine foods like kelp. So maybe if you want to gutload wjth broccoli every once and awhile add some dried kelp.

Chameleons are prone to clogged tear ducts. My boy just got over a crippling case of that.
If he doesn’t open it and stops moving the eye itself underneath the lid, try using a little saline on it.
Either way, take him to the vet no matter what if it continues.

Back
Top Bottom