George gaping while basking

Psychodrake

I've noticed George gaping under his basking light recently, so I'm really in need of help on what to do next. I know that they do it to regulate and cool down somewhat, but I also know it's the sort of last resort when they're too hot.

On a fairly warm day like today, his basking spot spikes anywhere between 80-85, the cooler side of his cage with no light stays around 75-80 and the lower vines are anywhere around 75 dependent on the day. I'm using a 75 watt exo-terra bulb in a large exo-terra reflector, photos below.

Basically, the situation at hand is that he's getting up in the morning, climbing up to his basking spot as usual and after around 3-4 hours under the light, he starts gaping on and off. I've ruled out respiratory problems as he isn't wheezing at all, his breathing is absolutely normal and silent and his mouth has the "Normal" amount of saliva. I actually noticed him do it a few times in his old vivarium, only on the hottest days.

Now my problem and the reason I'm asking for help is because I'm not sure whether I actually need to do something and if I do, just what. I set up his vivarium in a manner that he can regulate at different heights under the light. I know younger Chameleons aren't brilliant at regulating like full adults, but there is absolutely tons of room for him to move up and down. The main problem is that he moves all the way down when he feels the need to regulate (All the way to the floor, has a wander) and then goes back up after a few minutes and we begin again. Maybe I'm just worrying too much as I do, but I don't want him overheating as I'm not sure what damage it can cause.

Photos of his basking spot.

sdc10381r.jpg

sdc10380bk.jpg

full

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you measuring how hot his basking temp is? If you don't have a digital thermometer then your measurements can be really off.

Digital thermometer! Using the exo-terra one that you can wire inside (I really want a temperature gun though). Also checking the house temps on the heating controller, usually between 19-20C throughout the day give or take dependent on the weather. I may move his light a little further away and see if it helps tomorrow. I just wish he would use his space to regulate, but I can't blame him really since it's all still new.

Cheers! Put a lot of effort into the layout. It's like a rainforest in my backroom.

Today is a bit cooler than yesterday, so I'm going to keep an eye on him and see if he gapes. If he does, I may just get a lower wattage bulb and swap them during the winter/summer. He's been basking for the past 3 hours and had his misting which should cool him down somewhat.

if he is gapping that means it is to hot for the cham. what wattage is the bulb you are using also check the temps in the summer the extra heat can cause problems for the little guys so be carefull.

I'm using a 75 watt exo-terra bulb in a large exo-terra reflector, photos below.

Man, you've got to read more than just the thread title. It's the reason some people get very vague responses on the forum asking for information already available.

But yeah, 75 watt and he's at least 10" below it.

Man, you've got to read more than just the thread title. It's the reason some people get very vague responses on the forum asking for information already available.

But yeah, 75 watt and he's at least 10" below it.

alright hero what size is the cage. 75 is way to high also depends on his cage size. there might be to much room letting in the light screen mesh helps prevent so much heat going inside so that may be your problem with all that openness between the bars.

Yeah I'm going to pick up a 50 watt halogen I think. 75 was recommended by the store I got him from, I had to upgrade to 100 watt in his old cage because I couldn't get the basking spot to 80. Swapped back to the 75 watt because the 100 watt was definitely overkill in his new viv.

I'll update when I get his new bulb fitted.

6 months I'd say and was estimated. He is quite big.

50 watt is in now, he seemed happier with that (No gaping), and it was a really hot day.

Back
Top Bottom